Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What am I doing Wrong?!!

Old 11-09-2009, 04:56 AM
Spike

Angry What am I doing Wrong?!!

Hey guys-I need some encouragement. Been hunting my property now for a while. Bad luck the last couple of years.Bow season last year caught a doe high in the back-then during shotgun season I had my arm resting on the arm rest of the stand to shoot-the arm rest moved and I ending up hitting a 5 pointer in the front leg-he ran off. Yesterday-the buck of my dreams-a big 8 point walked by-a shot of no more than 10 yards-had my pins on him-peep sight good to go-everything lined up and it went high in his back (not even a blood trail-didn't spine him or anything just pierced the friggin' back above the spine!).
I am so frustrated and ready to quit. I hate wounding an animal. I hate the thought of chasing those beautiful animals off of my property. But I love deer hunting and putting meat in the freezer.
Old 11-09-2009, 05:04 AM
Fork Horn

This is my first post, pratice. Try shooting from an elevated deck at a leaf or smaller. Remember the smaller the target, the smaller the miss! Have you taken many deer-buck fever? I went through that when my eyes went south, I changed to a different site, peep and all is well again. I took one at 38 yds this year. Pratice at longer yardage, it will make those short shots a chip shot.
Good Luck!
Pat
Old 11-09-2009, 06:56 AM
Spike

Default practice elevated shoots

hey i had the same problem you gotta member that shooting from a stand is different from shooting ground level. your arrow will be pointed at a downward angle. so lets say your aiming for the heart and you shoot from your tree stand right where the heart is the arrow will actually miss the heart because its point downward so you have to shoot a little higher so the arrow penetrates the heart. and all in all don't get discouraged its bow hunting thats part of it. i missed 4 deer this year before i killed one. thats not counting the countless ones i have seen i couldn't get a shot on. here this will make you feel good i was hunting with a buddy and he knocked my bow over with his tree stand no biggie right so we get up in the woods and I'm up bout 18' in my stand when a monster buck walks out 10 yards in front of me i hadn't even got an arrow knocked cause i had just got up the tree. so as I'm trying to knock my arrow i realize that my arrow rest is smashed from where my buddy knocked my bow over we didn't think anything bout it when it happened but lo and behold heres a beast and i cant even take a shot at him cause my bow was broke lol........ Thats Bow Hunting

don't worry it will all come together. May God bless you and your shots be true......