Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

The rut!!??

Old 11-09-2009, 03:08 AM
Spike

Default The rut!!??

Hello fellers, I live in Southwest Virginia and haven't seen too many bucks. I know they're there because of the trail cam pics I got back in the spring. I also know they haven't been harvested since only me and my dad hunts this area. The full moon phase just ended like 3 nights ago. Usually right after that the rut is on but its been way to hot, highs in the mid 70s. I'm wondering if any of you guys hunt in Virginia and have saw any sign.
Old 11-09-2009, 03:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

My experience has been thus: the second NEW MOON,{ not FULL MOON } after the fall solstice is magic time. Sure, there's going to be activity prior and post, but I believe NOV 13-18 is the hot ticket. I particularly like the day after the moon is a pencil stroke thin crescent in the sky. I've had those dates marked off on the calendar since last December.
Old 11-09-2009, 05:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

I too hunt Virginia, and haven't had much buck action. I don't know where they have gone, as we have 4 or 5 nice bucks on our property. Haven't seen 'em in 2-3 weeks though. Idk what the problem is.
Old 11-09-2009, 07:19 AM
Fork Horn

I had almost the same problem in southeast VA until a week ago. I had NO pictures of bucks and wasn't seeing any either. Last week I had 2 nice 8's on the camera plus 3 or 4 other little bucks. Then I killed another 8 that I didn't have any pictures of. Just give it some time and hopefully some cold weather will come your way and they will get started. What part of Southwest VA you from? Im originally from Russell Co. myself.