Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

need some help setting up

Old 11-08-2009, 07:50 PM
Spike

Default need some help setting up

hi guys im new here and i need some help. im going on a hunting trip to some land in north va and i would like to know where you would set up on this land. i have never been there before all i know is that their r some big boys roaming.
Attached Thumbnails need some help setting up-land-va.jpg  
Old 11-08-2009, 08:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

So this is the second time you have posted this image and identical message. Give it time paople will respond.
Old 11-08-2009, 08:13 PM
Spike

sorry the first time i pushed submit it told me there was an errror. i didnt know that i did it twice. sorry.
Old 11-08-2009, 08:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by vahunter-sturg
sorry the first time i pushed submit it told me there was an errror. i didnt know that i did it twice. sorry.
Understandable, I do it myself sometimes.

Are you going to bow, rifle or Muzzel loader hunt this property. Can you tell us what the terrain is like? Roughly what the wood mixture is conifer\mast producing (oak\beech\other). What is in the fields, grass, beans, any food plots? Will there be other hunters there with you, and how many?

Last edited by sconnyhunter; 11-08-2009 at 08:17 PM.
Old 11-08-2009, 08:26 PM
Spike

all that i know is that it was used as a cow pasture for about 5 years but that was back in the 80's. it is very flat with one little ridge on the back side. it has a creek running through it on the back side also. there will be two others. one my brother and two my good friend. it is ruffly 170 acres of land. the guy who own it is letting us hunt for free. his son coaches football with me. ive never been there so i dont know much more than that. sorry
Old 11-08-2009, 09:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Lightbulb

Here are some ideas:

1.) The top blue circle is a potential ambush point. There are 2 points of land adjoining each other across the road. Deer often like to stick to cover as long as possible when traveling. Trail timers, game cameras or a good ol' fashion "wait and see" are methods to determine when the deer are crossing. I've had success by watching from a distance in a parked vehicle just to see what is crossing and at what time.

The red dots are the potential travel routes of the deer.

2.) The blue circle on the left is a good place to check out because of the point of land again. Here if deer are leaving the spot, they will stay on that point until they exact and vice-versa, will head to that point if they are coming to the land.

3.) The white circle indicates a thin/sparse bottleneck or funnel. Again, when deer travel, they like to stick to cover.

4.) The red circle nearby but above the white is the thickest part of that funnel area and offers the most cover for traveling whitetails. I'd pay attention to the wind when hunting this spot.(like all spots of course)

5.) The thin red circle is the outside bend of the open field. Again, the field offers little to no cover for the deer to travel, so the next best thing is to stay inside the woods line and that means going around the field edge.

6.) The blue circle on the right takes the most time to figure out. Any deer coming or leaving the spot must cross the road and I chose that spot because it's right in the middle. In the field observations by looking at the sign and trails should indicate where the deer are crossing. What's crucial is to know when they are crossing and at what times. Going up and down the road to investigate the trails that look the most promising should get you ideas on where to set up.

7.) The last choice is to investigate the long thin funnel indicated by the longer oblong red circle on top. It's hard to determine from a photo, but may be worth checking into. Funnels are almost always a good place to investigate. Why? Because it "funnels" the deer. LOL!

Hope that helps. Good luck!

iSnipe
Old 11-09-2009, 07:27 AM
Spike

its kinda hard to setup with out scouting first you need to do a bit if you can but its kinda hard once the season already started.