Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

College Student Help!!!!

Old 11-09-2009, 07:10 AM
Fork Horn

Default College Student Help!!!!

Alright I'm a Freshman at The University of Missouri, and this is the first year I'm gonna have to miss opening day on the 14th. I'm going the 20th and 21st, but that's the last 2 days of rifle season. Then i've gotta bow hunt for a week during Thanksgiving break. I was wondering if anyone had some suggestions for me. I hunt in the Mo river bottoms, flat and really open except by the river. I have a nice stand that is always set up year round and i've harvested many nice bucks out of it. But i usually have a chance to scout for months and find out everything going on. I haven't scouted at all this year. It suck cause I'm scared I'm gonna get a dud this fall. Should i just keep hunting my permenant stand, or should i try some other desperate technique to bag a nice buck (which by the way is a VERY nice 14 pointer, well last year, and i know he survived to this year cause i've heard he's been seen).
Old 11-09-2009, 07:52 AM
Fork Horn

Ive been in that boat. I would go for the sure stand and just check it out to make sure it is still producing. If its not, switch it up.

For next year, I would suggest spending a little money and getting a few trail cams to do your scouting for you. Though it doesn't do quite as well as you might, it is better than nothing.
Old 11-09-2009, 08:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd go with your permanent stand. Another alternative is stillhunt and quickly move through areas that don't look productive.
Old 11-09-2009, 08:00 AM
Spike

I'm going to go with Iowa on this one. Since your stand has been there for quite awhile the deer have surely gotten used to it. I would however invest in trail cams as previously stated. I have really good luck using mine, and it gives you an idea of what You have to look forward too. Good luck on your hunts!!!!!
Old 11-09-2009, 08:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Get a climbing stand. If you find that they aren't in that spot anymore, you can move around with it.