Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Little Feller

Old 11-08-2009, 03:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Little Feller

I drove in my yard this afternoon and a little, maybe 10 pounds, spotted fawn was laying in my backyard, maybe 50 yards from the back door. I tried to get a picture, but at that distance it looked more like a little brown pile of leaves He got up and went in the bushes when I tried to get closer. I had three or four spotted fawns on a trail camera a couple of weeks ago, maybe this one will be the last one that little I see this year......
Old 11-08-2009, 05:26 PM
Fork Horn

Really? Is it common for fawns to come that late down there?

I've never seen one this late up here. I'm sure it wouldn't survive the winters up here anyway. I always like to see fawns, but if I saw it this late I would just feel bad. I don't think it would stand a chance to make it through the winter.
Old 11-08-2009, 07:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would think FL deer wouldn't be that big and due to being in the extreme southern USA, their breeding season is later than ours in the north, hence the spots.

Good story. Always nice to see nature whenever the experience happens to Bless us.

What's the average size of a doe/buck in FL anyway?

iSnipe
Old 11-09-2009, 04:27 AM
Boone & Crockett

I would say an average of 180 or so on a buck, biggest I have seen in Florida was 245. Does run about 80, up to about 130 (live weights). The rut starts around the second week of Jan and they will chase does till April. Fairly common to see spotted fawns in Oct, not as many this late. Blackpowder season last till the end of Feb .