Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Need HELP

Old 11-07-2009, 06:17 PM
Fork Horn

Default Need HELP

Tonight I shot an 8 pointer in the heart. MY arrow never passed so he still had it in hm. The blood trail was little spurts and then I found a pool 30 yards from where I shot him then there was small little tiny droplets again then the blood stopped. I marked where I last saw blood and backed out of there cause I didnt wanna push him to far and it was getting dark. Before the half hour was over I heard crashing in the ridge below me about 200 yards below me but where the blood is going it was not going that way. Is it possible he ran and circled around? How far do you think he could have gone? Im afraid hes gonna wander to far and into someones yard
Old 11-07-2009, 07:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hard to say not knowing.

First thing I must do is applaud your decision to back off. Can't recall how many times an ol' buddy of mine use to pre-maturely go after his deer and pressed them for a loooooooooong time until they expired. Had he waited, I bet most of them would have still been in their first bed, but because he pressed too fast, he would jump them... and chased them!

I am a little worried about the lack of sign for an alleged heart shot. The heart shots I've gotten had them squirting like it was a faucet. Don't know if you saw the shot go in or not, but sounds like you hit below the heart in front towards the lower chest and in front of the leg. This is a vital hit, but may not show as much as a blood trail. This area is tough due to the sternum which could explain the lack of penetration.

As for the crashing, when you go back, I'd check there first thing to save some time if you know the EXACT spot or you'd be blindly searching. If you are uncertain, wouldn't hurt just to start from the last blood you saw and work from there.

Some well hit deer have been known to go a long ways, but if there's blood, there's always good hope. If you lose blood, mark the last spot and double check for more. If you find no more, start to pattern search and stay away from wondering aimlessly. It saves time and is more thorough.

Are you planning to go out tonight or wait 'til morning? Let us know how it goes.

iSnipe
Old 11-07-2009, 07:19 PM
Fork Horn

thank you for the advice, im going to wait out till first light and start my attack then. I watched my shot enter just behind the right leg about 2 to 3 inches beihnd it. The blood spatters are bright red, and there is one portion that is gushing bright red bloo then it turns into trickling again. I have my fingers crossed its cold tonight so thats a good thing im confident. I wish my arrow had passed probly would have more blood
Old 11-07-2009, 08:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

You didn't hit the heart.
Old 11-08-2009, 04:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think you're mistaken on hitting the heart, he would have expired sooner. As to why he's not bleeding....I'm gonna guess and say something's clogging the holes.
Old 11-08-2009, 04:23 AM
Dominant Buck

Good luck and I hope you find him. I would focus on picking up the blood trail in the good light. Often times the low light really makes it hard to follow and the next day it is easy.
Old 11-08-2009, 04:31 AM
Boone & Crockett

I agree that first light would be better for tracking.. I am not sure if you hit the heart or not. But a deer can travel quite a ways if it was pursued directly after the shot was made. In some cases it will just run until it falls. Yes a deer will circle at times to see what had happened or to find some thick brush to lay in. Also I have founs some deer to pull the arrow out of itself with it's teeth. That will increase the blood flow and surely slow the deer down quicker. While circleing look for deer tracks with it's toes spread apart. The do this alot of times up here to try and keep balance.. Good Luck on finding your deer..
Old 11-08-2009, 02:39 PM
Fork Horn

whats up guys I found him his blood trail came to nothing, so I decided to make a full circle arond where i shot him and I found him in some thick brush he ran about 90 yards from where I shot him, if that. I was on the phone with my dad after I lost the blood trail I was all nervous and stuff then all of a sudden I saw him and was going crazy, he was even going crazy on the phone. It was a great day thanks again for the advice I couldnt be happier