Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

almost fell

Old 11-04-2009, 10:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default almost fell

well I went out today for the opening of muzzle loader. got out to my stand that i had just moved back deeper in the woods a week ago looking over the swamp creek bottom. I was sitting in my stand for about a half hour when i thought i heard something coming. So i looked back to my left and suddenly my stand shifted. Woooo, my heart was in my throat at that point. I climbed off onto the sticks to see what was up . it looked loose some how. I racheted the bottom one one click but the top i was able to do 3 or 4 . I got back on the stand and tested it it still seemed like it could go tighter because i could still move it a little.
I got back on the sticks with my harness stap tight holding me there as extra stablizing.
I clicked it one more and then a second and SNAP the strap broke.
I climbed down and resolved myself to the fact that i'm not hunting from that stand today and i could have had worse results.I went down the trail a little to hunt else where as i surely
made a ton of noise there. after sitting a while and regrouping
i desided to go home before something else happened

I think it just broke and was not cut by someone. So guys always wear your harness you never know when you might need it. I didn't put mine to the test but i was right on the edge where i would be glad i had it on.
here are a couple pics of the strap . what do you think ?

Old 11-04-2009, 10:58 AM
Typical Buck

I don't know,but glad you wasn't hurt..I don't use those small straps.I go and buy the $15 a piece ones from walmart that are rated at 1500lbs,they are for car hauling,I really strap those babies to the tree..No chances when im in a tree.
Old 11-04-2009, 11:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

That was close ! Good deal to hear you had a harness on. One of my pet deals. Comes form a really bad experience decades ago. Darn near lost my brother ! Won't be caught in a tree stand of any type without one.

One thing I do is replace all ratchet straps every year and I use a strap that is rated at least 500#.
Old 11-04-2009, 11:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

That looks like a strap from a ladder stand. If so, they don't need to be that tight. Just snug enough to stabilize the stand and to have no creak noises, etc. By the looks of the medal, it has been out in the woods for a long time. Belts like that break down in the sun light, so when in use for long periods of time, good to bring the stand home.

Regardless, I'm glad nothing happened to you besides a little scare, but that's good because it will keep you on your toes. I think you made a good choice in taking the rest of the day off to regather yourself and to hunt another day!

Thanks for posting as it's a good reminder to us to us all to be safe out there.

iSnipe
Old 11-04-2009, 11:11 AM
Dominant Buck

Talk about a close call. Thanks for posting as a reminder to all of us to check out the equipment every time you use it. Take nothing for granted.
Old 11-04-2009, 11:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

yes the stand was out a while last season but was taken in atthe end of last season
I thought the strap looked good when i put it back out in September. I'm going to get a good thick strap for it to resecure it . It is an old stand that has seen a few seasons. the wierd part is i bolt mine as well but the bolt snaped when i rehung it in October . I guess it was telling me someting then
Old 11-04-2009, 04:29 PM
Typical Buck

squirrels chew them and the weather takes a toll on them I use summit hang ons and they use a steel cable. I would change those tie downs every season if i used them, cheap insurance.