Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Question about Rattling

Old 11-04-2009, 07:28 AM
Spike

Default Question about Rattling

New to deer hunting. So i found some old deer antlers in an old barn on my dads property.

I was going to try to use them for rattling. my current setup is in the deer stand, with a feeder about 50 yards out.

i dont know anything about rattling besides that it should draw deer in because they think a couple bucks are fighting.

so the questions are:

Is there a certain technique i need to use? or just bang them together?

Does this tend to draw in does, or other bucks looking to wrastle?

would i be better off just sitting and being quiet?

im in east TX and the rut should be in full effect im going to be hunting opening day here Nov 7th
Old 11-04-2009, 07:51 AM
Dominant Buck

Try it a few times to see what happens. If the buck doe ratio is good then it will draw in bucks as well as does. The does come in because they are curious and it is a sound they hear often in the wild. I start out slow and quiet and tickle them for about 30 seconds then stop for about 15 minutes. The next time is a little harder and longer and so on. If I don't call one in within an hour I quit. Be aware that you probably call in more than you see. They will most often circle down wind to detect you. I try to put a large field or pond to the down wind side to ensure that I will see them coming before they scent me. In my area it doesn't work that often but when it does then it is worth it. Just another thing I do to try and get deer.
Old 11-04-2009, 07:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

im in e. tex too...ya jus wanna imitate two deer sparin, maybe they are friends, maybe they are enemeys, use your imagination...google deer fighting or somethin...the big trick is to not do it very much..meaning ...whackem together a minute or so, and stop...let the deers curiousity bring em in, ...if ya keep whakin the deer will pinpoint ya and you'll be busted!gl
Old 11-04-2009, 09:00 AM
Spike

whats the best time in the season to rattle, rut? thats when they are doing most of there sparing right?
Old 11-04-2009, 04:16 PM
Spike

By the way you talked those antlers have been there awhil and are pretty dried out. I used to soak mine in a bucket of water for a few days. Kinda changes the sound of them back to bucks actually fighting. Sounds to me like when they are dried out they sound hollow and not as realistic. Also, if there are browtines on the antlers, cut them off to save your thumbs. You crash the antlers together with thin or no gloves on and your thumbs will know it!!!
Old 11-04-2009, 04:51 PM
Dominant Buck

I use a rattle bag and find they work just as good...or bad as the real thing. Way easier to carry and a bit safer.
Old 11-04-2009, 05:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

when they get that velvet off they wanna play with em, and durin rut they use em fer buisness!!!