Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Non-resident hunting license?

Old 11-04-2009, 03:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well think about this. Lets say I buy a 24.00 deer license in WI and I come to Alabama to hunt with my license, how would your state get funding for management programs and such. I know I would welcome the 160.00 for you to come up and by a deer gun license. Answer your question??
Old 11-04-2009, 06:12 AM
Dominant Buck

The answer is simple, and exactly what I do:

If you don't like the price go somewhere else.

Your scenario overlooks the fact that the state you're hunting in gets federal matching dollars via Pittman-Roberst taxes and others for each licence that they sell, you're asking them to give up major revenue. Do you also complain about the ramp fee at the out of state lake you want to use, but don't support with your taxes? How about the entry fee for that state park or WMA you're also not supporting? It's pretty selfish of you to complain about such small costs for recreation when you aren't paying the rest of the tab.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by brasmunky
fastetti wrote "I won't even go for what I paid to hunt out west, they do need to lower that."

after living in idaho for 7 years i think the reason that they charge so much for out of state tags/license is because the low number of residents in the state compared to the amount of state owned land that DNR has to keep up with. it has to cost millions of dollars a year to patrol and manage all that country. also speaking from my own personal experiance i can not stand all of the "city slickers" that flood the hills during the general seasons and drive around shooting at everything that moves(including me a few times) there is nothing more frustrating than scouting a area for months on end just to have some A-hole ride his ATV thru it (off the designated trails) on opening morning and scare all the animals within a few miles out of the area. thats just my 2 cents.
Good point brasmunky, I didn't think of it that way. I hunt Wyoming a lot and I could see how they don't get the revenue from in state people as most states.

Its not always all of the "City Slickers" thought that drive around shooting anything that moves though, but I see your point. A couple years we had some guy from Denver that happened by us on the ranch, they let loose about 10 shoots that whizzed over our head. We were lucky hunting with the head of security for all the ranches. They were not allowed back the following day. I am from Chicago and can tell you that we have nothing but respect for the people and the land out west. Too beautiful of land to abuse!!!
Old 11-04-2009, 10:17 AM
Fork Horn

I would hunt in Iowa with friends and family if the price was right, but $296.50 is totally unreasonable to me, when I would also have to set up and use a slug gun to hunt a couple miles from home.
For that much money as a resident in Missouri, I can hunt way more. For just $89. I can hunt 1 buck or 1 doe in rifle season,antlerless only season or muzzleloader season, 1buck, 1doe, and two turkeys with a bow, 2 spring turkeys,2 fall turkeys and have a hunting/fishing combo for everything else. That would leave me enough money for 20 extra doe tags and change left over for 22 days worth of trout fishing tags, and $1.50 left for a coke.
My friends and family in Iowa have the same problem. They would love to hunt with a rifle in Missouri, but just to kill one deer they would pay $225. Which is $198. more than they would spend to hunt one deer in Iowa.
Being used to hunting with a rifle here, there is no way I would pay $279.50 more to shoot the same deer, with a seriously downgraded weapon. And being used to using a shotgun, my friends would not pay the $198. more for a rifle hunt. There are literally places where Iowa friends will drive deer South for Missouri hunters to shoot on the South side of the fence and where Missouri hunters will drive them North for Iowa friends to shoot on the Iowa side. I love hunting right on the line when Iowa bird hunters are accidently driving deer my way!
Old 11-04-2009, 10:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Lincense fees are a source of income and that is about it. The requirement for a "Hunter Safety" course is more of an issue to me ... state's should honor that documentation similar as is done with a driver's license.
Old 11-04-2009, 11:16 AM
Dominant Buck

I hunt out west and sometimes the mid west and throughout the northeast and see that the west and mid west tags are way higher. I look at it as the cost of hunting somewhere that is better than here. I don't mind paying, but that is just me.
Old 11-04-2009, 11:16 AM
Fork Horn

One good thing about high non-res. prices is, it keeps our res. prices low, Some tag prices actually went down a few bucks this year for youths. They cut them in half, down to $8.50 for kids 6-15 to hunt one buck or doe, and only $3.50 for extra doe tags, and these same prices for non-res. youths aged 6-15. I like to see the kids get a break, and this means they can contribute the least expensive meat for the freezer, which is much needed by so many.
I just hate it that guys who have been hunting with me for years are being forced to stop because of tag prices going up. I know it's not just the tag prices, it's also the gas prices and lodging prices and gear prices and lease prices and so on. And I know that people will say that if they can't afford it they should stay home,and that will create a spot for someone else. It seems like there are always people with cash waiting to screw you out of every good thing you ever had when you are down. It's just very upleasant business for me to have to tell folks sorry, I can't lower my fees for you, pay up or move on. Don't like it at all!
Local economies where I live can really be helped by hunters coming in, and when they stop coming in all the hotels and lodges and outfitters, farmers and other businesses who count on them, have to stress themselves even more by lowering prices to try and keep them coming. This is less proffit for folks when their expenses are rising and they need the cash flow most.
I would think the Missouri Dept. of Conservation could help out by at least freezing the prices on non-res tags until things get better for tourism, and the hunting industry.
Old 11-04-2009, 11:28 AM
Fork Horn

As far as the hunter safety course being accepted everywhere, good luck! They've been trying that with concealed carry permits too and no luck yet. I agree that they should be good anywhere. But states teach different courses and others may never accept them. I'm torn between knowing that these things would make things simpler for me, and believing that states should have the right to decide for themselves whithout federal interferance. I would love to see a reciprocity agreement between more states without the FED's butting in though! Plus many states offer online courses now so it's not as difficult as it once was.
Old 11-04-2009, 02:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think that every state should charge non-residents whatever the taxpayers representatives feel is due for the PRIVILEGE of hunting in a state they don't normally reside and pay taxes in. If you don't want to spend the money, hunt in your own state... or move and become a resident of the state you prefer to do your hunting in. Living in Iowa, I pay taxes all year around in Iowa, a portion of which supports the DNR and conservation and game management. Because I live here, I enjoy the privilege of $27 deer tags. If I want to go hunting with at my brother's place in MN, I pay the $141 MN charges for a non-resident firearms deer license. If he comes home to Iowa, he'll pay whatever Iowa charges non-residents for a license and tags. I really don't have a problem with this disparity. Like I said, I pay taxes all year round to Iowa, my brother pays his to Minnesota, and we both enjoy the respective benefits of living in our chosen state.

Mike

Last edited by driftrider; 11-04-2009 at 02:57 PM. Reason: schpellinng
Old 11-04-2009, 03:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

The only problem I have with Iowa is how they run their tag system there. My buddy has 140 acres there and hasn't been able to hunt it because he lives in Illinois. If you own a decent chunk of property you should be able to buy a tag no matter what, instate or out of state prices.

This is the first Ive heard of a Hunters Safety card not being valid in other states. Ive hunted 6 states as an out of state hunter and have never been asked for it by the license vendor or by the DNR.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.