Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Help needed...

Old 11-03-2009, 05:53 AM
Fork Horn

Default Help needed...

I went to my aunts property the other day and noticed some deer tracks. So everytime it rains ill walk out there and see what seems to move. Each time the tracks are growing more. I have found a nice buck track as well.

Here is my question...The tracks are located on a dirt road surrounding a cotton field. The cotton field splits her property with pines. Her property is hardwoods with a creek running through the middle. The other side there are some cow pastures back in the pines. The deer are using the cotton field as a crossing from the pines to the hardwoods but I dont know what they are going to. I want to set a climber up but I dont know where to put it. Any ideas on where they might be going? Acorns? Water source?
Old 11-03-2009, 06:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hard to say not knowing

However, there is a technique of scouting you can use that might help. The idea is to place your stand in a spot where you can see as much activity as you can from your spot. It's a place you can sneak into and out of when you are done. It's also an unlikely spot to kill something, but that's not the main point of the stand. The point is to get a visual on deer movement so you can improvise a plan to move in on where you see the activity the next time you hunt.

Try that to see if it works. Remember, you want a vantage point where you can see a long ways and a place you can sneak into and out of when you're done.

iSnipe
Old 11-03-2009, 06:01 AM
Fork Horn

water source when its hot for sure. I dont know the temps there though. Find out if there bedding in the cotton field
Old 11-03-2009, 06:18 AM
Fork Horn

I've sat on the edge of the trees and watched deer cross the cotton. I actually seen a doe and 2 little ones playing in the cotton yesterday. I have found a nice trail to the creek. What I may do is come from the other side of the hardwoods. They are only about 100 yards wide before another cotton field. I may set up on the creek bottom and watch the big trail. Maybe I can get a view of something in there.
Old 11-03-2009, 06:25 AM
Spike

Yea most likely they are going to the water, around the creek somewhere with a good view of the trail would be a good place to start. That way you can their movement and still be in place for a shot.