Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What ammo

Old 11-02-2009, 04:34 PM
Spike

Default What ammo

What ammo do yall suggest for 7mm-08 for texas deer and hogs?
Old 11-02-2009, 04:42 PM
Fork Horn

I live the sho-me state, I shoot 140gr FUSSION by Federal Ammo. Had good luck on deer and hogs in swmo. Very good wound channel.
Old 11-02-2009, 04:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Don't shoot a 7mm-08 but in my 30-06 I also shoot the Federal Fusion ammo as mentioned above. I shoot 150 grain. For some reason seems to be the most accurate of what I've tried in my rifle. I've only shot one deer with it and it dropped right there. It was a pretty large doe I shot at about 150 yards. It did leave a small hole through the deer though and didn't appear to expand a ton but it did DRT.
Old 11-02-2009, 05:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

To expound more on accuracy, you may have to try multiple brands, bullet configurations and weights to see what your rifle likes best. Sometimes just a simple change in bullet weight can tighten a group considerably.

iSnipe
Old 11-02-2009, 10:21 PM
Spike

I know diff ammo will shoot better or worse but I was leaning towards corlok fusion or hornady sst I have only shot corlock before not the other two so kinda at a lose I ordered the rifle so late in the season I won't have time for much bench time if i can get 2in or better right now I'll be good till I can work up a round.also what about the barnes in 708 little pricey but might try???
Old 11-03-2009, 06:27 AM
Typical Buck

The 120 grain bullet is just about perfect for deer and hogs.. Look at the Remington 120 HP..