Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How far will a buck travel?

Old 11-03-2009, 07:05 PM
Fork Horn

I had a buddy who had a deer on his property for two years, and one year; (that buck last!) he got on a doe and ended up getting shot about 8 miles from where he had been seen the day before...

Guess that doe just had his number, I still think that it was a fluke, but still 9 miles is more than 7
Old 11-03-2009, 09:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Smile

IOWABUCKHUNTR,

Not sure what your point is, unless you didn't recognize or understand the "average" that was mentioned.

If 3 bucks had telemetry collars and were studied during their rut period and it was found buck #1 traveled 5 miles one day, buck #2 traveled 9 miles one day and buck #3 traveled 7 miles, together that totals 21 miles. If you take the 21 and divide it by the number of bucks...3, you get 7. So to get an average of 7, you need bucks traveling further than that. LOL! (Unless of course all 3 bucks traveled 7 miles!)

Just about 100% of what people write, studies or factual statements, there is almost never a clause that says it's written in stone and there is no exception to the rule, because there are almost always exceptions to the rule. They are very easy to point out and most people know that enough to not point them out.

And Yes!... 9 miles is more than 7. Not sure where that came from though because you said that buck that was on your buddy's property for two years was shot 8 miles away. I can also say 8 miles is more than 7. LOL!

Adios amigo.

iSnipe
Old 11-05-2009, 07:10 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the input guys. I guess this is why hunting is so interesting and fun. If we had all of the answers and it were easy, more people would do it and it wouldnt be as enjoying. Your replies make a lot of sense. After thinking about it, I guess I would walk 6 or 7 miles for a good time if the oppurtunity was there. Lol......

Last edited by Huntingtherut; 11-05-2009 at 07:11 PM. Reason: Spelling