Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Could've arrowed him but.....

Old 11-03-2009, 08:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Beezer
But not everyone is like that. Some of us fill the freezer so we don't have to buy beef and can use that money for other things we enjoy. It's also healthier and more beneficial without all the crap they use to make cows bigger to slaughter and sell faster.

I'm with you on the "buying in" to everything. I can't pass one up because it may be the "one" that brings the deer in. Can't argue with you there.

To you it isn't. But, not everyone feels the same way about the hunt. Honestly, I climb a tree in my climber sometimes and sleep more than I'm awake. I may miss some deer, I may not. But, when opportunity knocks I'm nocking an arrow or pulling a trigger. Not everyone "hunts" the same. To me, doghunting isn't sporting or ethical...and you can't convince me that all the adrenaline does venison any good. Even so, I'm not going to beat down those who doghunt the right way because that's their choice. Passing judgement on the legal choices of others isn't right and shouldn't be done. You "hunt" your way for your reasons, just as others do. That doesn't make their way wrong or right, just a different way.
My first post on this forum and I just want to say, very nice post, Breezer. I don't know if I personally would have taken the shot, but I agree with what you just said. This is my 2nd season of hunting (well, when firearms season starts in VA in a couple of weeks), and I learned PRIMARILY so that I could put meat on the table in tough times (and believe me, they are COMING!). I wasn't sure if I would enjoy hunting or not, but I was pleased to find out at 30 years of age that I LOVE it and wish I had gotten into it a long time ago.
Old 11-03-2009, 09:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by craigkindlesmith
To all those who would have taken it...... Nice Buck!
In reality, with all that typing, that is where your opinion is really reflected.

iSnipe
Old 11-03-2009, 09:13 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by iSnipe
In reality, with all that typing, that is where your opinion is really reflected.

iSnipe
Sorry you feel that way. Because I was actually standing on your side, I just am not that judgemental of other people.

I'll break out the high horse next time so some of you guys can climb on board.
Old 11-03-2009, 09:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by craigkindlesmith
I'll break out the high horse next time so some of you guys can climb on board.
It's apparent you are already there. Good luck finding mates, captain.

iSnipe
Old 11-03-2009, 09:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by dpj1030
Man I dont have the woods to hunt nor the money like most of yall tards. Well some of yall. I live in the back woods but near the city and hunt my back woods everyday morning and night, If I saw that bas%@*$ Sitting down I dont give a crap where he was he's going down. And I dont think ANY of yall guys cant HONESTLY say if that 150 class+ Buck was layed down under your stand or 60 yrdsaways. you wouldnt shoot him? COME ON!!!?
DJP, I don't think its about hunting someone's own backyard, I think Uncle Matt just got a call that there was a big buck in his friends backyard and didn't find any enjoyment out of shooting a buck out of someones back door after just getting a call from a friend.

I live very close to downtown Chicago but have recently gotten a spot on one acre that is legal to hunt. It is a family friends backyard. They have about a 1/2 acre of woods that backs up to a creek then a massive tollway 40 ft wall. It is hunting, I can't see there house or any other and Im 20 feet in the air. I could sit on there back porch and shoot a deer, but I like the sport of it, so Im back in the woods trying to get a deer off a game trail. Im not seeing as much, but when I do get a deer there, it will be well worth it.
Old 11-03-2009, 10:19 AM
Typical Buck

I woulda sliced an arrow through his @ss and hated every bite of sausage and everytime I saw him on the wall !
Old 11-03-2009, 10:19 AM
Spike

Hey...... If I don't get on my high horse every now and then.... I won't remember where it is when I really need it.

My point is what gives any one person the right to judge how another person hunts? Just because it's different doesn't mean eithr way is right or wrong. As long as it's legal then there's nothing anyone can do about it anyway, right? Heck I've seen pictures of deer on the Braggin Board that I would never even THINK about taking, but it's not my place to jump on the forum and tell them how they shouldn't take a deer like that.

I applaude Uncle Matt for not taking the deer. I don't think it's right to take a bedding deer that's not afraid of people. Kind of like pot shooting quail. (Which is illegal here)

Just my opinion though. If anyone think I'm wrong, or just plain dumb, for not bashing them over it.... then that's fine by me. It is just a forum after all.
Old 11-03-2009, 10:41 AM
Spike

There's absolutely no better way to practice shooting deer than by shooting deer.

IMO when opportunity knocks, by all means open the door. The best point I can make is that we all hunt for different reasons and we all shoot or don't shoot for different reasons. Me, I like to shoot deer, and then I eat them. It doesn't matter where they are as long as they're mature and legal.

The thing I applaud in this instance is that the OP stood up for his principles and his intrinsic ethics to make a decision. He may not see a buck that nice for the rest of the season, or maybe even the rest of his life, but he made a tough ethical decision and stuck with it.
Old 11-03-2009, 12:04 PM
Spike

I applaud you for standing behind your ethical standards. I'd like to say I would have done the same thing but I guess I'll never know until I'm in that situation.
Old 11-03-2009, 02:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

LOL..It's just another freeking buck in rut. The thing about the dumb ones is they taste just like the smart ones....lol. So whether you choose to shoot or not to shoot is an individual's choice to make and in this case the buck lives another day. Nice pic by the way.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.