HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Could've arrowed him but..... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/308769-couldve-arrowed-him-but.html)

uncle matt 11-02-2009 02:21 PM

Could've arrowed him but.....

....it just wouldn't be cool. Reeked of not fair.

A buddy called me to say there was a real nice deer on a small piece of property he was working at. Said it was pestering some does and hanging around. Bedding down & up, down & up.

So I headed over there. What I found was a nice buck ending himself a doe. He was bedded right outside the back door and the object of his obsession was bedded right along the house.

I couldn't shoot him. It wasn't right.

bigwhitetailbuck 11-02-2009 02:49 PM

So you didnt shoot it because its "girlfriend" was there!!??
I would have arrowed that thing soooo fast. Im no pro at scoring but that looks like a 160 class + deer

But to each is there own I guess

Champlain Islander 11-02-2009 02:50 PM

It is called sportsmanship and some have it and some don't. Super picture.

iSnipe 11-02-2009 02:51 PM

I believe you. There are times when a person has to make a decision based on their own ethics and no one is around to judge otherwise.

It's amazing how many deer(one a trophy) I see "AFTER" legal shooting light and could shoot them. I tell myself the same thing "I couldn't shoot him. It wasn't right."

I'm proud of you uncle matt for making a commendable decision.

iSnipe

NC Buck Slayer 11-02-2009 02:56 PM

i wouldnt have shot it either. i dont care how big it was. its not hunting.

Beezer 11-02-2009 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by NC Buck Slayer (Post 3492880)
i wouldnt have shot it either. i dont care how big it was. its not hunting.

I'm not sure I understand exactly what you mean? Picking a vehicle struck deer up off the road isn't hunting, but many do it. Just because it's behind a house and following a doe isn't fair game? In that case, I may as well not go into the woods because they are all over the place behind me and bedding down across the street. You'd have to cover yourself in camo and be another 20ft in the woods before you'd shoot it? And then, you'd stalk up onto it, hiding behind trees, and shoot it just like it's sitting now?

Hate it, I'm in it to eat. If that deer didn't have antlers on it's head, it'd sure enough be in someone's freezer right now. Why does the size of the antlers make such a difference when it's all about the meat? And no I don't hunt "brown it's down," like I said I hunt to eat. Until the freezer is full as long as it's legal it's fair game, regardless of antlers or not. You can't eat doe tags or antlers, period.

13pointjomc 11-02-2009 03:14 PM

It wouldn't work if i was in that stand,i would have killed his @$$!!!!!!!!

13pointjomc 11-02-2009 03:17 PM

Im the,''If its brown its down''hunter,cause i hardly see a deer!!!!!!!!!

bigwhitetailbuck 11-02-2009 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Beezer (Post 3492905)
I'm not sure I understand exactly what you mean? Picking a vehicle struck deer up off the road isn't hunting, but many do it. Just because it's behind a house and following a doe isn't fair game? In that case, I may as well not go into the woods because they are all over the place behind me and bedding down across the street. You'd have to cover yourself in camo and be another 20ft in the woods before you'd shoot it? And then, you'd stalk up onto it, hiding behind trees, and shoot it just like it's sitting now?

Hate it, I'm in it to eat. If that deer didn't have antlers on it's head, it'd sure enough be in someone's freezer right now. Why does the size of the antlers make such a difference when it's all about the meat? And no I don't hunt "brown it's down," like I said I hunt to eat. Until the freezer is full as long as it's legal it's fair game, regardless of antlers or not. You can't eat doe tags or antlers, period.

I agree with you. Many people are forced to hunt "Urban" areas because they have no other land or oppurtunitys to hunt land way out in the woods. In my eyes, a deer in an urban area is the same thing as a deer in the deep woods. Just my honest opinion. Yes if I was an urban hunter, I would rather be in the deep woods rather then hunting an urban area, but some dont have those chances.

Beezer 11-02-2009 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by 13pointjomc (Post 3492910)
Im the,''If its brown its down''hunter,cause i hardly see a deer!!!!!!!!!

I'm in the same boat as you. I've seen three does and I've killed three does. But I wouldn't take it because of lack of seeing deer, I would because pictures don't fill the freezer. On a side note, I'd shoot the doe if I had a tag or it was a doe day. Can't beat two for one.