Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Could've arrowed him but.....

Old 11-02-2009, 05:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

There are people here who may only have one or two shots a year at a deer, any deer. Why should they pass on an opportunity to harvest a deer legally simply because someone else thinks it "isn't right"?
Beats me. I can only tell you why I didn't shoot--lack of fun. The one ethical point that does come up the most here is whether it's fair to the deer to shoot in such a situtation--in other words, if the deer had a chance to employ its defenses to get out of danger and was beaten at it by the hunter through his hunting skills.

There are situations where that isn't the case and its not right to shoot if we're going to be considered sportsmen. A game animal is entitled to use its natural defenses or we're abusing the gift that they are.
Old 11-02-2009, 05:55 PM
Dominant Buck

Hunting is fair chase. Anything else is just killing.
Old 11-02-2009, 06:02 PM
Fork Horn

Good job Matt, way to stick with your ethics in the face of temptation.
Old 11-02-2009, 06:07 PM
Fork Horn

beezer buddy....you are definitely missing the big picture....it's about the hunt. NOT the meat.....in this case. the guy didnt want to open his back door and shoot it. bottom line. he is in it 4 the hunt...the chase....the game....the challenge! if your really that poor and need the meat so bad start out by cuttin your internet service out!!!
thanks bud...if that doesnt help at all ill supply you with a deer!
Old 11-02-2009, 07:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree, if it was all about the meat, than that doe in front of him would be the deer for you. A shorter shot. I think that when you look at a deer you have shot you want to have a great story to go with it like "I had been in my stand 8 hours in the snow" or "I was at Hunting camp with all my hunting buddies and almost didn't go out" not "My friend called me and I walked up to his back door and shot a monster." Ive seen Uncle Matts post here and on other forums and he seems like a skilled and Ethical hunter. Again, Good choice Matt.

iSnipe, believe me, It hurt me not to grab my bow! Biggest deer ive seen in a long time. The worst part was around when this picture was taken. I was shooting my bow the day before and left my back up plywood out. Where that plywood is at in this picture is where my foam target goes. I know every yard to that target and he stood right there! 27 yards broadside....It just isn't fair!! LOL!

Old 11-02-2009, 07:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just funnin' with yah fastetti! I know what you mean.

=================================

As to having to describe or explain to someone about why this hunter passed up an opportunity like this seems.... hmm?... Well, if that has to be explained, then it's most likely something that will never be understood regardless of the ethics or merits of the deed or lack thereof, ie, passing it up. Hunters at heart know what I mean without explanation.

iSnipe
Old 11-02-2009, 08:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Just say you "passed him" he's not big enough yet...
Old 11-02-2009, 08:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Champlain Islander
It is called sportsmanship and some have it and some don't. Super picture.
That was my way of "shooting" him.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'll address a couple things.

First the meat issue and filling the freezer. It is very important to me to fill the freezer. Very important. But I will have ample opportunities with firearm season coming up and me and my boys having plenty of tags. Plus I have permission for a nice little piece of property right near me to archery hunt all season. The freezer won't be hurting and we are actually planning on more venison than ever and much more sausage production.

It would have been totally legal to arrow him. Whether from the back door or around the corner of the building. The house is not occupied and there are no houses within 100 yards so archery harvest is OK by IL law.

The thing that bothered me was that the deer there are obviously used to people being around. Maybe the people who used to live there fed them or something. It just doesn't work for me shooting a deer that is just going to lay there and look at me.

I am a huge believer in karma. I have had many instances in my life where I feel karma was the reason things happened. So I'm not sweating it. It will all happen the way someone has planned for me.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:45 PM
Spike

i think it all depends on your standards and what your looking to do,i would have shot the buck,he would have been a nice mount and tasty at that,also its sick when say you let the buck go and he gets hit by a car or something like that you just never know,you should always take advantage of your oppourtunities

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.