Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Another way to ruin hunting

Old 11-10-2009, 06:32 AM
Fork Horn

Great post. ii bet if ole dude got to thinking about it he has prob mistaken a button head for a doe. heck i have done it. most of us prob has when we were starting out. i hunted a year and a half before i killed my first deer. on thanksgiving morning, about a 100 lb doe and to me she looked like she was 200lbs lol. and trust me back then if it was brown it was down!! i couldnt have been happier.
Old 11-10-2009, 11:27 AM
Spike

My interest in hunting was developed over 50 years ago by my Daddy. He took me dove hunting with him when I was 6 or 8 to do the retrieving. I saw the excitement in him when he saw a bird coming and told me to be still. When I was 12, he gave me a 20 ga. stevens single shot for Christmas and all was right with the world. We went squirrel hunting that day and he found the squirrels and let me do the shooting. When I would shoot one almost in half, he would just laugh and say, " Well, you got that one." When I'd shoot a whole box of shells dove hunting and have 1 or 2 birds, he NEVER criticized my lack of marksmanship, only coached me in how to lead and follow-through. Although we were very poor, he always had a couple of dollars to buy me be another box of shells and that let me know it was ok to miss a shot. It was this kind of spoken and unspoken encouragement that made me want to hunt. My dad has been gone 22 years and I'd love to hear him say, "Well, you got that one".
Old 11-17-2009, 11:56 AM
Fork Horn

Great post Father Forkhorn. I am a young (21) hunter and I came to this forum to learn from all of you who have many more years of experience than myself. I have a great knowledge of hunting but I know I there is still a lot more to learn. My dad took me deer hunting with him when I was 4 years old and I haven't missed a season since. It is important to start youth off young and teach them what it means to be a hunter. Criticizing the youth isn't going to get you anywhere.
Old 11-17-2009, 12:14 PM
Spike

Do most people not think that there is more to killing a deer to some people other than the trophy. Some people kill them for meat, and if your going for meat, who cares what the rack looks like. I dont care if its a button buck a spike or a 14 point, if its in range it dies. Im in it for the sport but im also there to fill the freezer. All hunters are not trophy hunters, with that being said, the trophy hunters need to shut up and let people do what they want.
Old 11-18-2009, 11:01 AM
Fork Horn

i'm 58 now been hunting since i was 13. still dont know it all.deer and turkey still out smart me from time to time.if i ever do find that i know it all ,i'll stop hunting.but probley don't have to worry about that.i to hunt for the meat the rack is a bonus.most people need some type of help from time to time.good luck everyone in the 2009 season.
Old 11-18-2009, 12:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

Very good post!! I wholeheartedly agree with every word!
Old 11-18-2009, 10:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Exclamation

Very fine post Father Forkhorn.

It's too bad you even have to post something like this, but apparently adults too need some help in changing what they are doing wrong.

=============

As for letting something go I saw of which I disagree?... Can't do it!

Heavenlykid said: "i seen a video on you tube the other day a guy shot a buck while it was fighting with another one i think that was very inhumane."

I don't think it's humane at all. In fact, depending how bad I wanted to shoot the buck, I may have taken the shot myself. I've seen enough buck fights, to miss one wouldn't hurt.

Some may deem it on the fence of being ethical, but I think not. I think it's awkward and may be not the right time if one is being the ultimate sportsman about it.

Roger Raglin once was ready to kill a nice buck with his blackpowder, but the buck was doing his duty, so Rog waited and shot him after he was done. LOL!

iSnipe
Old 11-19-2009, 04:25 AM
Boone & Crockett

Most of those that criticize on anything on hunting.net are usually those that THINK they know it all. They are everywhere. I like to take newbies especially in archery and work with them via Pm's or email and sometimes on the phone if not there is always someone to quick to criticize them.
Old 11-22-2009, 11:22 PM
Fork Horn

"I dont care if its a button buck a spike or a 14 point, if its in range it dies. Im in it for the sport but im also there to fill the freezer..[/QUOTE]

Thats me!!! I'm mainly in it for the eatin'!
Sure, if I see a 10pt next to a button, I'll take the 10pt.
Otherwise, Ive been back home in 30 minutes, cleaning a
niave yearling, just as proud as heck.
I dont bait or use feeders. I set up in a likely spot, and hope I see something. If I do, its' coming home with me.

I was ALLOWED to go on a friends lease once, as a "family day" sort of thing.
I told all involved, I wanted meat. They all said, "heck yeah, kill something".
Ok.
They put me up in a ladder stand, at their choosing. Im cool with it, its not my place to hunt. The stand is obviously not the hot seat.
2 hours later, BANG. Nice 4pointer.
Then, came the moaning and groaning.
I wasn't supposed to shoot a buck, unless it was a "trophy".
(ie: I wasn't supposed to see a buck in that stand! Actually, judging by their shock, I wasnt supposed to see A DEER!). Hah.
When I reminded them , I wanted meat, they all ASSUMED I meant just does.
My friend, (who is and was perfectly cool with my action), says his lease partners still go on about that, 3 years later!!
Dang get a life.

Last edited by Dan480Man; 11-22-2009 at 11:26 PM.
Old 11-28-2009, 04:13 PM
Fork Horn

Most people that do the most criticizing are the ones that some point in time probably have shot a button buck or yearling themselves. Have we all forgotten that we were beginners at one time. And yes I have also taken a button buck in the past and not ashamed to admit it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.