Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

how do you deal with it

Old 10-29-2009, 04:00 AM
Typical Buck

My father-in-law recently gave me his entire collection of Louis Lamour books. Sometimes I could sit for hours and glass the surroundings. I just seem to know if a deer might come out. Other times I'm out there and I just know that nothing is going to be moving. That's when I pull out a paperback. So why don't I climb down and go to the truck? Because I might be wrong!
Old 10-29-2009, 04:07 AM
Boone & Crockett

About 3 hours in a stand is about all I can stand at a time. The older I get, the more these old bones start hurting after a couple of hours. There are a lot of deer and other wildlife in the areas I hunt so there is usually something to watch. I turn my cell phone off or on vibrate if I am expecting a call.
Old 10-29-2009, 04:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by timbercruiser
About 3 hours in a stand is about all I can stand at a time. The older I get, the more these old bones start hurting after a couple of hours. There are a lot of deer and other wildlife in the areas I hunt so there is usually something to watch. I turn my cell phone off or on vibrate if I am expecting a call.

Me too- 3 hours is about my max. When i get bored I just surf the internet on my phone, play games, and text my other friends in the stand.
Old 10-29-2009, 04:38 AM
Spike

I go to the used book store or a Goodwill, and buy old western paperbacks, or cheesy spy novels, also in paper back. I look for well worn books with pages that are made from older pulp, so that it makes no noise when I turn the page. I like reading in the stand, and I like the book to be quiet when I close it up or turn a page. I usually dont read untill I have been in the stand for a few hours because I generally just enjoy the sights and sounds, but I find that if I start to get bored, reading keeps me from getting fidgetty and moving around too much. I leave the phone in the truck becaue one of the best things about being out in the woods, is I am completley disconnected from everybody.
Old 10-29-2009, 05:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

I honestly can't recall ever getting bored in a deer stand. Sleepy, daydreaming, unfocused, distracted, and other such things, but not bored (which I define as wanting to do something else because its not stimulating or interesting). If there's anything negative, it's more on the lines of cold, hungry, stiff and mentally tired.

That distracted feeling might be labeled by some as boredom. It's certainly a part of it. I try to fight through it rather than read or something else. I don't want to be looking at a book and miss a deer. I'll nod off first.

Last edited by Father Forkhorn; 10-29-2009 at 05:52 AM.
Old 10-29-2009, 05:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

I do the majority of my hunting from ground blinds and tripod stands with burlap hanging from the shooting rail. So concealment is pretty good. I keep my iPhone on silent and text friends to catch up. I often do a little Facebooking if I have enough signal. I've found that a lot of times it's good to take your eyes off the area that you're hunting because when you look back, you're more aware of things. But that just might be me.
Old 10-29-2009, 06:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

I just sit there, think, reflect, plan and scan the woods. I enjoy that time to relax and I like the quiet. 3 or 4 hours seem to go by pretty fast. I limit my texting because I really don't have the patience for it and I want to be ready. Right now my job permits me to hunt either a morning or an afternoon most every day except no hunting on Sundays here.

Last edited by LKNCHOPPERS; 10-29-2009 at 06:37 AM.
Old 10-29-2009, 07:17 AM
Fork Horn

watching the ninja squirells run around
LMAO!!! ninja squirells.
Im 15, and I get a little fidgety sometimes. What I do after being in the stand for 3 or 4 hours, I stand up about every 20-25 minutes. I stay standing for about 5 minutes then quietly sit back down. For me this passes time pretty well. I also every once in a while, look around and make sure nothing is there, grab my bow and do a practice draw. Ill do this every 2 hours or so if I am bored.
Old 10-29-2009, 11:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Five hours is my max. I usually hunt 4 to 5 hours in the morning, unless of course I kill something. In the afternoons, I usually get on the stand about 2 to 2 1/2 hours before dark. This doesn't give me time to get bored. I'm always watching, regardless how tired or sleepy I get. I don't play games, read books, or text while I'm hunting. I'm looking for my quarry. All it takes is one split second to blow a chance at a trophy. I don't want to be reading or playing on my phone when that buck of a lifetime decides to show up.
Old 10-29-2009, 03:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

i say "this sucks" to myself and tough it out. lol.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.