Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

how do you deal with it

Old 10-30-2009, 04:39 AM
Spike

I bring a ltiile hand held portable radio with 2 ear buds, I only use 1 and turn it on super low, no deer can hear it.the unit is 1inchthink and 3"x3" it's smaller than a range finder, AM/FM band. I sit and listen to the radio or the locate public radio station for the state I'm in. When out of town it is very useful letting me know when the front is coming and if the temp. is starting to drop. I only listen to it after about 3 hours in the stand in the morning, and hardly ever at night.
Old 10-30-2009, 07:41 AM
Spike

I can honestly say i do not get bored either,but i always take my cellphone incase of emergencies.
Old 10-30-2009, 08:12 AM
Fork Horn

I take a paperback with me if I plan on being out all day.
Normally if it's just a morning or evening hunt I just tough it when things get really slow.
Old 10-30-2009, 08:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

How about doing some timed calling. If you're bored at 9:00am, tell yourself you'll wait until 9:30 and then do a little rattling. Wait 15 minutes. Then try a couple grunts. At this point, it's going on 10:00. Tell yourself you'll do a couple doe bleats at 10:15.

When you get bored of this, get down and do some still hunting. Just stay in the woods. The likelihood of a bored hunter bumping into a buck while still hunting is greater than that of a guy sitting in the cabin......or a guy sleeping in his tree stand.
Old 10-30-2009, 08:20 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by LKNCHOPPERS
I just sit there, think, reflect, plan and scan the woods. I enjoy that time to relax and I like the quiet. 3 or 4 hours seem to go by pretty fast. I limit my texting because I really don't have the patience for it and I want to be ready. Right now my job permits me to hunt either a morning or an afternoon most every day except no hunting on Sundays here.
WOA WOA WOA. no hunting on Sundays? What god forsaken place do you live in? I didn't know they had internet access in hell.

I'm terribly sorry to hear this: I always thought God made us take Sundays off so we could hunt...
Old 10-30-2009, 08:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

WOA WOA WOA. no hunting on Sundays? What god forsaken place do you live in? I didn't know they had internet access in hell.
I can't answer for where LKNCHOPPERS lives, but I'm from PA and we have no Sunday hunting here either. Well, except for crows and coyotes.
Old 10-30-2009, 08:33 AM
Spike

I have a little portable radio that I bring with me sometimes. I leave one earbud in and let the other hang down. Talk shows are great because they keep your mind stimulated unlike music which can make your mind drift.

Pros:
  • Talk shows are always on
  • You are more likely to get reception on a radio than phone
  • They're cheap; if you trash one its not the end of the world
  • Unlike with a book, you can still use your eyes
  • With one earbud out I still hear a fair amount of deer coming

The cons:
  • It's bringing electronics into the woods
  • It does impair your earing on one side
  • Sometims talk shows aren't any good
  • These days you here a lot about Obama on them: Which isn't what you want to be thinking about while hunting

Honestly though; I use it less than I don't. During peak hunting hours I like being "In the zone". but about 3 hours into the hunt is when I can get a little restless. Having Multiple stands to slow hunt between helps.

Also as someone mentioned, playing the clock game saying "at 10:15 I will use my grunt" helps.

And a side note for those of you who get sore sitting in your stand: Look into a climber (Like the summit viper SS). The seat doesn't actually have a bench or hard platform that you sit on. Its more of a hammock style where you "swing" on a cushion. VERY COMFORTABLE.

Best of luck to you guys who have opener in a week or two.

BurdBuster
Old 10-30-2009, 08:36 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by BarnesX.308
I can't answer for where LKNCHOPPERS lives, but I'm from PA and we have no Sunday hunting here either. Well, except for crows and coyotes.
Well there's some ammunition for me next time someone tells me to get out and see the rest of the world

Oh BTW Sorry!
Old 10-30-2009, 08:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by BurdBuster

I'm terribly sorry to hear this: I always thought God made us take Sundays off so we could hunt...
Here in WV. Sunday is private land only and in certain counties only. I don't have access to private land in any of those counties so...No Sunday for me either
Old 10-30-2009, 08:48 AM
Spike

Well I have successfully eliminated two states off my list of States I Might Want To Live In Someday

Then again, liquor stores aren't open here on Sundays.

Why don't they allow hunting on Sundays? As a way to extend the season without increasing the number of days huntable? If so, why not a Wednesday or something?

Or is it just a an old law that has never been changed?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.