Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Whitetail in the rain?

Old 10-27-2009, 06:39 AM
Spike

Default Whitetail in the rain?

Two part question here:
I'm new to bowhunting deer , this has been my first season out, and I am wondering if the deer move as much when it is raining, or do they usually stay bedded? Is it ethical to shoot a deer when its raining and risk not being able to track well due to lost blood from the rain?
Maybe this is a three part, i originally set up my stand and spotted a few bucks, but they were 50-60 yrds. from my stand so i didnt take the shot. I have since moved closer to where i spotted them, but havent again seen them. Did I move too close?
I hunt New Jersey and any help would be great.
Old 10-27-2009, 07:22 AM
Typical Buck

Deer will move during the rain. Just the other day I had 7 deer under my stand while hunting in the rain. However, if its a torrential down pour the deer will seek shelter. To the second part of your question...I have shot a couple deer in the rain and still found them. I guess it all depends on how good you shot them. On things for certain, I would never attempt a shot n the rain at over 30 yrds. Too much can go wrong and when you don't have a blood trail you want to make sure that you place the shot right where you want it so that the deer will die within sight of you stand. And finally as long as you set up where the wind is in you favor and where you can get a good shot (20 yrds) i think it'll be good enough. If you seen deer there once more than likely you'll see them again if you didn't stink the place up while putting your stand up.
Old 10-27-2009, 07:35 AM
Spike

Thanks for the help. It seems that the only time i have spare to get out, the forcast calls for rain. I'll give it a try.
Old 10-27-2009, 07:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

+1 Tim's comments.
Old 10-27-2009, 08:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Shooter, as far a deer movement in the rain....I've found that there is considerable deer/buck movement during lite precipitation.

For the most part deer will bed down during heavy rain events...........and now to contradict my last statement, I took this buck last year during a torrential downpour.

Deer do the darndest things sometimes.

Last edited by pigiron; 10-27-2009 at 09:15 AM.
Old 10-27-2009, 08:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Shot my best buck in the rain, but usually don't do as well. Movement is curtailed so sometimes you might have to make things happen. I rattled mine in. Like mentioned before, blood trail is tough. Luckily it got cold that night and the buck was fine the next morning.
Old 10-27-2009, 09:08 AM
Fork Horn

I actually think the rain is a great time to get out. Have never shot a deer in a torrential downpour, but I always see good movement once the down pour is over - and the rain does a pretty good job of eliminating odor (and noise as you get out to the stand).

I have a couple of spots on well hunted public land that aren't usually very productive in normal conditions but have given me great consistent results right after a good rain.
Old 10-27-2009, 12:52 PM
Typical Buck

certainly, deer move in the rain, don't let it keep you in, invest in good rain gear

as far as your stand move, too hard to tell if you messed the deer path/trail, putting scent down, can they see it readily from the path/trail...a bit loaded question here

stick to it, certain you will do fine, and no, i don't think it is unethical to shoot a deer in the rain, if i am confident with my equipment, know it is an ethical shot, i am not worried about it...you need to ask yourself this question and answer it truthfully
Old 10-27-2009, 04:01 PM
Spike

Well thanks for the input,and i'll be out the next time rain or not. I'll be sure to post my results.
Old 10-27-2009, 04:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

http://huntingnet.com/forum/deer-hun...ting-rain.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.