Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Whitetail in the rain?

Old 10-27-2009, 04:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

from my experience i almost never see deer in the rain unless its very light... i sit there wondering why i even try sometimes, but if it stops they like to move than.
Old 10-27-2009, 08:33 PM
Fork Horn

I like a slow drizzle. I have seen a lot of deer on the move in light rain. plus the water softens the ground a bit and when you need to walk or hike, you can do so without making as much noise.
Old 10-27-2009, 08:50 PM
Typical Buck

Default Shooter

If you doubt your tracking ability, particularly when raining, find someone in your area that has a tracking dog. I had a dog for 17 years that could track anything. I now have another, not as good as the first one, but has found 4 out of 4 he's been on.

I'm color blind and blood is hard for me to track, but my dogs have saved the day many, many times. Ethical realy doesn't come in to play if you can make a clean shot, recovery of the animal is what counts.

dog1
Old 10-27-2009, 10:20 PM
Typical Buck

I have shot many deer in the rain, turkey's as well.

Spudrow from Mo
Old 10-28-2009, 02:42 AM
Fork Horn

I have yet to see a deer in the rain, But Yet I continue to go because I keep seeing these pics of others with huge deer in the rain, I just can't sit in the house durring the season, becuase you sure won't shoot a deer sittin on the couch
Old 10-28-2009, 04:07 AM
Typical Buck

The best is to watch the weather radar. I like to walk in while it is raining and be sitting when it stops. The deer will move then and your scent will have washed away from your trail.
Old 10-28-2009, 05:50 AM
Fork Horn

I sat right after a rain yesterday afternoon. The deer rarely comme out in the afternoons on my plot they were there 30 minutes before shooting light was up
Old 10-28-2009, 08:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

In light rain, I will always hunt. When it turns real nasty, I would rather play a few games of cribbage and have a few cold ones instead of taking out my bow. Rifle season is totally different.

I honestly believe some hunters underestimate deer activity during rain and wind. Just because hunters feel uncomfortable hunting in these conditions, they mistakenly believe the same applies to the deer. IMO, a light to medium rain has little affect on deer activity. They have been living in these conditions their entire lives. It means absolutely nothing to the deer.

The same applies to the wind. I have seen/shot deer in high winds. These deer were going through their daily routine, not being pushed. I agree with most that very rainy/windy days may make the deer less active, but to think they completely shut down is a mistake some hunters make.

As of this moment, as I type this, the rain is moderate with windy gusts. I was talking to a hunting buddy and looked out back to see two deer feeding on the acorns. It was kinda funny because right in the middle of a sentence on the phone, I said 'Whoa, there's a deer, and another"! Actually, this is the first time I have seen any deer out back in over 3 weeks. it just shows that weather hunters consider to be too uncomfortable means little to the deer.