Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Winchester Power Max Bonded ammo. (270 Win) >

Winchester Power Max Bonded ammo. (270 Win)

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Winchester Power Max Bonded ammo. (270 Win)

Old 10-22-2009, 08:43 AM
Fork Horn

Default Winchester Power Max Bonded ammo. (270 Win)

So far I only have one experience with the new PM bonded bullet. it was pretty destructive, maybe not quite as bad as the ballistic tips are as far as meat damage. Although, it did stay together for the most part unlike the ballistic tips at close range. The bullet started out at weighing 130 grains and at a diameter of .277, it ended up weighing 74 grains and a diameter of .750. Keep in mind that the bullet was traveling at more than 3000 fps and the deer was only 18 yards away facing me. I hit him in the upper left shoulder and the bullet exited on the lower right shoulder and slid alongside of the body cavity and came to rest under the hide near the back of the rib cage. he was a 120lb Georgia deer, the shot dropped him immediately and he died within seconds. With my experience with ballistic tips (Hornady SST's) I’m sure they wouldn’t have stayed together like this bonded bullet did. They typically come apart at close range from the .270 when they strike the shoulders or bigger bones. hopefully i'll be able to add some more info in a couple of weeks when i get back in the woods.
Attached Thumbnails Winchester Power Max Bonded ammo. (270 Win)-dscn0540.jpg  
Old 10-22-2009, 08:46 AM
Fork Horn

another pic.
Attached Thumbnails Winchester Power Max Bonded ammo. (270 Win)-dscn0538.jpg  
Old 10-22-2009, 08:53 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the report. I picked up some of these when I purchased my new Savage .308 in August, being they were the cheapest available rounds at $18.99 a box from Cabelas. I was simply looking to put some rounds through the new gun, get it on paper with the scope setup and have some brass to load my own rounds with. Well, I haven't gotten around to testing my loads yet, so I've been playing with the idea of hunting with the Power Max bullet since I still have a full box. I was very impressed with the accuracy, my Savage Model 16 Weather Warrior Series .308 with AccuStock/AccuTrigger shot 1" groups all day with the PM 150 Grain. I've put one full box through it, and the groups are very consistent. Now with your report on performance, I think I'm going to hunt with this round and see how I make out.
Old 10-23-2009, 09:33 AM
Spike

Looks like it lost a lot of weight to me. But in my experience, a bullet that loses a lot of weight also destroys a deer's heart and lungs so I'd say you got perfect performance.
Old 10-24-2009, 06:51 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by 7mm-08140
Looks like it lost a lot of weight to me. But in my experience, a bullet that loses a lot of weight also destroys a deer's heart and lungs so I'd say you got perfect performance.
i agree. and yeah it made a mess of the vitals. i know some people like a lot of weight retention and complete pass throughs. but, at high velocity and close range on deer i feel the bullet did well, it dropped him.

unklechuckles19, i would use them if i were you. if you use them please report back with your experience and thoughts on the performance of this bullet. i bought 4 boxes so i'll be using them for a while. after i use up these boxes i should have a good bit of info regarding the performance of these bullets.
Old 11-02-2010, 05:24 PM
Spike

the results sound kinda like the federal fusion.
Old 11-03-2010, 05:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

I shot three deer last year with the same bullet, encountered heavy bone with all three, all bullets exited and all deer were DRT. The shots were from 16 yards to 200 yards. I also shot a 200# hog in the neck and dropped her on the spot. If I have to go back to factory again I will probably look no farther the the PowerMax Bonded.
Attached Thumbnails Winchester Power Max Bonded ammo. (270 Win)-black_and_white_775_full.jpg   Winchester Power Max Bonded ammo. (270 Win)-dsc02751b_784.jpg   Winchester Power Max Bonded ammo. (270 Win)-dsc02758_785.jpg