Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Smell after gutting a deer or any other animal >

Smell after gutting a deer or any other animal

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Smell after gutting a deer or any other animal

Old 11-02-2010, 04:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Smell after gutting a deer or any other animal

As I sit here in deer camp with 6 of my other deer hunting counterparts and fellow workers, a "Comment" came from one fellow who took a nice doe this afternoon. Does anyone other than us in our camp seem to notice that after cleaning/gutting an animal, one "emits" a certain "aroma" resembling the entrails of the earlier animal for a day or 2 afterwards? Maybe its just us in our demented ways, but was just curious.
Old 11-02-2010, 05:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Oh yeah, not the guts so much, but the when skinning that hide, the scent aroma is all over me. It's worse on elk and moose. I can smell it in my clothes,my vehical ,my and my camper my bed ,it really lingers.Usually have to give everything including myself a wash and deodorize and disinfect several times after a trip, before I can't smell it.But than you get someone that isn't use to hunting, and to them it smells of scent and deoderizer and disinfectant.I don't have carpet in my truck that would make it worse.

Last edited by Jeff Ovington; 11-02-2010 at 05:43 PM.
Old 11-02-2010, 06:41 PM
Typical Buck

Your spot on there man. It even seems that after gutting and skinning a deer, the hunting for a few days after that is better, I see more deer and the are not alarmed!
Old 11-02-2010, 07:02 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by SecondChance
As I sit here in deer camp with 6 of my other deer hunting counterparts and fellow workers, a "Comment" came from one fellow who took a nice doe this afternoon. Does anyone other than us in our camp seem to notice that after cleaning/gutting an animal, one "emits" a certain "aroma" resembling the entrails of the earlier animal for a day or 2 afterwards? Maybe its just us in our demented ways, but was just curious.
I love that smell! Smells like victory!
Live it up! Doug
Old 11-02-2010, 08:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Maybe ya'll missed my point. I was trying to be rather "politically" correct and should have called it like I see it. I was referring to farting after gutting a deer or such that lends itself to the gut wrenching, eye watering, nose hair burning stench that emits from such resembles enough to knock a buzzard off a garbage truck in July!!!!!!! Now that maybe I cleared that up, we can get back to the issue at hand. Now lets here your experiences.
Old 11-02-2010, 08:29 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by SecondChance
Maybe ya'll missed my point. I was trying to be rather "politically" correct and should have called it like I see it. I was referring to farting after gutting a deer or such that lends itself to the gut wrenching, eye watering, nose hair burning stench that emits from such resembles enough to knock a buzzard off a garbage truck in July!!!!!!! Now that maybe I cleared that up, we can get back to the issue at hand. Now lets here your experiences.
See what happens when you try to sugar coat things. Say what you mean people. Sheesh!
Live it up! Doug
Old 11-03-2010, 05:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Gutting and Butchering a Deer. . .

is about to kill off a bunch of country club hunters, used to the packaged meat from the supermarket, that their wife cooks.

"What do you mean I have to gut this dead deer. My wife or mom did all our family cooking" !!!!!!
Modern Country Club Hunter

Last edited by Valentine; 11-03-2010 at 06:00 AM.
Old 11-03-2010, 06:04 AM
Typical Buck

If your gas smells like a dead deer after you field dress and skin one, you should stop using your teeth to field dress them and try a knife.