Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Buck Urine or Tarsal Gland Lure??? >

Buck Urine or Tarsal Gland Lure???

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Buck Urine or Tarsal Gland Lure???

Old 10-21-2009, 07:03 PM
Spike

Default Buck Urine or Tarsal Gland Lure???

Which is best for early season hunting? Buck Urine or Buck Tarsal Gland Scent?
Old 10-22-2009, 09:44 AM
Typical Buck

I use both as the pre rut intensifies and bucks are establishing their territories. The smell of an intruder can really torque em up.
Old 10-22-2009, 11:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Another Alabama guy ! I hunt SE Alabama near Seale.

I collect as much deer urine as I can from deer I and others kill. Have doewn this for decades. I do not use commercial scents at all. I probably have close to a gallon of mixed dder urine in the freezer - well marked !!!! A few years back I started separating doe from buck. Probably have a quart of each now. Frankly I have not seen any difference in reaction to my drag wrag trail or activity in mock scrapes or scrapes I spray .... using buck only or doe only or the mixed stuff. I do collect oiled up tarsals and freeze what I am not using. Of the two I have found the urine works great for a drag wrag trail ... which I believe helps a great deal mitigating my foot track scent and creates a long scent line for deer to investigate. I don't use the tarsal galnds until scrapes and rubs are being used heavily. What I do is mark the same area with the tarsal and then hang it nearby my stand.

I have had many bucks, a few decent ones, come in "looking" for the scent. Some fheads up flaring nostrils .... some hotfooting it into the area, all bristled up. But most just have their head down, scenting and looking.

Of the two, I think the tarsal is the best buck attractant. Is it 100% ? Not for me.
Old 10-23-2009, 09:18 AM
Spike

Yea I know where that is, I used to hunt down around Spring Hill and Union Springs down just alittle South of you. Just curious, why are you so against store bought scents. I can understand stuff like tinks because everyone in the woods uses it. I tend to stick to stuff that is not sold in every hunting store around here like James Valley. If you cant tell a big difference between your fresh stuff and other stuff, then why go to the trouble of collecting it?? Just curious that's all. How's the hunting down there in Seale so far this year?
Old 10-23-2009, 09:20 AM
Spike

Anyone experienced Buck Tarsal Glands spooking away other bucks??