Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hunting Knowledge

Old 10-21-2009, 01:06 PM
Fork Horn

Default Hunting Knowledge

Where would everyone say that they have learned a majority of their hunting knowledge? From a family member or friend, own personal experience, television, etc.
Old 10-21-2009, 01:19 PM
Fork Horn

gun safety
and others experiences they told on here
Old 10-21-2009, 01:31 PM
Typical Buck

Mainly living and learning in the field, but I do have one buddy that I used to hunt with that taught me quite a bit as well.
Old 10-21-2009, 01:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

I dunno, this is a tough ?

I watch some shows, and hear some info and say oh wow....that makes sense, or oh really?

I also read alot of hunting mags, and they make me ponder different stuff.

But my own experience has been, not that mags and shows lie, but that it all sounds good, but my own real world experience is more valuable than all that junk combined.

Shows and mags make hunting sound easy, and my experience has been trophy hunting public land is probably one of the toughest things out there to do!

Also everyone has their own opinions, so it's hard to say anyone really is a better hunter, or knows more...or knows what's right/wrong.

I feel like in alot of ways I'm a self taught hunter, and for my own money, simply getting out there and hunting is probably when I learn/realize the most about real world hunting.

It's tough and frustrating, but I think in a matter of years once I have a few spots I like and know, the initial learnign a new area headaches won't be there anymore and I can focus more on actually hunting, rather than figuring out where to hunt. Along with hopefully some successes I'll start making it happen!
Old 10-21-2009, 02:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Alot from my dad. And all the rest just from going out and actually hunting.
Old 10-21-2009, 02:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I received guidance from both my Dad and Grandpa but I feel as though I've learned most of my hunting knowledge through my OWN experiences.

Experience will humble and teach you far more lessons than anyone else ever could.
Old 10-21-2009, 02:59 PM
Fork Horn

I'd have to say from my Dad as well, I've been hunting since 7yrs old
and I'll be 43 next month.I still hunt with my Dad and still learn from the old fart every year,he say's he aint taught me everything yet.
He's the only man I've seen shoot a running deer broadside with a long bow and not have it go more than 35 yards before falling!
That's no shi*!

They say you can learn a lot from books, but just think how much experience and books a man can learn from in a lifetime.
Although somethings change with time,a lot of stuff when it comes to hunting and knowing your game you hunt, stay's the same.

Last edited by #1Predator; 10-21-2009 at 03:02 PM.
Old 10-21-2009, 07:13 PM
Typical Buck

Being born a preditor, hunting is natural instinct. In the beginning I imatated some of my hunting heros. Today it is really important to have hunter education and firearm safety classes for the basics. You can never know to much so soak up all the information you can from every source available. Web sites like this one are an invaluable source of information. It's not the kill it's the thrill of the chase! Enjoy the ride! KSwild
Old 10-21-2009, 07:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've learned everything about deer, turkey, and duck hunting by myself. My Dad did not deer or turkey hunt at all. I grew up squirrel hunting, but at about 14 or 15 became interested in deer hunting. I learned a lot through trial and error. During high school and college, I primarily duck hunted. After college, deer hunting became number 1, but I still duck hunted a lot, and still do today. Turkey hunting is another story. That has become my favorite, but this is not the turkey forum, so I'll stop here.
Old 10-21-2009, 08:02 PM
Spike

Mostly common sense....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.