Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

.223 for Deer Hunting

Old 10-25-2009, 03:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

do you all know a .22 LR will out penetrate a .223 on ballistic gell.
Old 10-25-2009, 04:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by zrexpilot
do you all know a .22 LR will out penetrate a .223 on ballistic gell.

Penetration has NOTHING to do with it.

My nephew shot a deer with a 300 win mag a couple weeks ago and the bullet stuck in the hide on the far side.
Old 10-25-2009, 04:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by TFOX
Penetration has NOTHING to do with it.

say that on a charging cape buffallo
Old 10-25-2009, 05:28 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by zrexpilot
say that on a charging cape buffallo
I don't think anybody is going to try and hunt cape buffalo with a .22
Old 10-25-2009, 05:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by kyhunter93
I don't think anybody is going to try and hunt cape buffalo with a .22
DUH!
The point was, he said penetration doesnt mean anything, and he had a wink on the end oh.. forget it if you dont get it.
Old 10-25-2009, 05:44 PM
Fork Horn

I do, i thought you meant that someone would use a .22. my bad, but still penetration is part of it but not ALL of it.
Old 10-25-2009, 05:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

When dealing with high caliber rifles you want a transference of energy and if the bullet stops in the animal,all the energy gets transferred,unlike with a bow where you want penetration.

Naturally,you need enough penetration to get through the hide and bone that is encountered upon entry but beyond that,it isn't the main goal.

Of course,thicker boned animals like elephant need more penetration than whitetail but we aren't looking for passthroughs.

Last edited by TFOX; 10-25-2009 at 05:53 PM.
Old 10-25-2009, 06:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

I do, i thought you meant that someone would use a .22. my bad, but still penetration is part of it but not ALL of it.
Actually during the hay day of time meaing the Great Depression a lot of deer were killed illegaly by the 22lr.. People were out putting food on thier table and never cared much about anything else back in those days.. The 22 center fire nicknamed the 22 hortnet is legal in this state. Some have actually shot moose with it as well as a 22 magnum.. So I have no doubt about the 223 being capable to take deer out with.
I do recomend plenty of taget practice with it though. But then again I recomend that with any gun used for hunting. They call it making your shots count. Some folks can shoot good while some folks can't and it doesn't make any difference in what your using for a rifle.. A wounded deer doesn't really care what you shot it with. There has been plenty wounded that has gotten away and died though. That is with almost any weapon you can use.. So target practice is a must for any hunter whether new or old. I know of some people that take the gun out of the gun cabinet with out shooting it at all. That is because it shot good last year and have no idea if the gun has been bumped. This can easily throw a scope off or even in some cases the sights on it as well. Therefore it is important to do at least a little target practice every year before you go hunting..

Last edited by Phil from Maine; 10-26-2009 at 02:22 AM.
Old 10-26-2009, 03:16 AM
Fork Horn

I was referring to his post about hunting cape buffalo with one, I know what a .22 will do a deer. lol
Old 10-26-2009, 03:24 AM
Boone & Crockett

I was referring to his post about hunting cape buffalo with one, I know what a .22 will do a deer. lol
Sorry I bad! I missunderstood reading all these posts on here about it..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.