HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - .223 for Deer Hunting
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2009, 06:26 PM
Phil from Maine
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by kyhunter93
I do, i thought you meant that someone would use a .22. my bad, but still penetration is part of it but not ALL of it.
Actually during the hay day of time meaing the Great Depression a lot of deer were killed illegaly by the 22lr.. People were out putting food on thier table and never cared much about anything else back in those days.. The 22 center fire nicknamed the 22 hortnet is legal in this state. Some have actually shot moose with it as well as a 22 magnum.. So I have no doubt about the 223 being capable to take deer out with.
I do recomend plenty of taget practice with it though. But then again I recomend that with any gun used for hunting. They call it making your shots count. Some folks can shoot good while some folks can't and it doesn't make any difference in what your using for a rifle.. A wounded deer doesn't really care what you shot it with. There has been plenty wounded that has gotten away and died though. That is with almost any weapon you can use.. So target practice is a must for any hunter whether new or old. I know of some people that take the gun out of the gun cabinet with out shooting it at all. That is because it shot good last year and have no idea if the gun has been bumped. This can easily throw a scope off or even in some cases the sights on it as well. Therefore it is important to do at least a little target practice every year before you go hunting..

Last edited by Phil from Maine; 10-26-2009 at 02:22 AM.