Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Scoring a Deer

Old 10-20-2009, 11:15 AM
Fork Horn

Default Scoring a Deer

Hey Guys,

I was wondering how to score a deer. I was raised not to trophy hunt, and in my latter years, have become intrigued with scoring the deer I see. I know it is a precise calculation and was wondering how I can learn to do this. I will attach a picture and maybe someone can help me to learn how to do this. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

KC

Scoring a Deer-017.jpg
Old 10-20-2009, 12:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here's some basic rules:

When in the woods and you a see buck and you say to yourself, "Holy ****!", don't worry about his score, just shoot.

Buck's average span from outside ear to ear is 16".

Prior to shooting and if you are trophy hunting, it's nice to have good optics and a quick mind attached to your trigger finger. You're going to have to examine his brow tines, possible broken/missing antlers, spread, mass, tine length and beam length all in just a few seconds. If you shoot too fast or not enough, you can be frustrated at your decision. Practice looking at these every time you see a buck, then when the shooter comes by, you've quickened your skills to determine "if" he really is the shooter you are looking for.

Would share more, but hitting the gun range to sight in and get some practice.

iSnipe
Old 10-20-2009, 12:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

The bowhunting section has a walkthrough as to how to score a buck. (I think)
Old 10-20-2009, 03:56 PM
Typical Buck

Lets just say that the buck on the right is a damn nice buck that would make most any hunter proud. Hard to score from a bad angle though. Has exceptional G2 and G3 coupled with mainbeam length. Unsure of Brow Tines. above average mass (4 circumfrence measurements). Assuming at leat 16 in spread (maybe more) that deer will most likely score high 130s to 140s.
Old 10-20-2009, 06:36 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by fingerz42
The bowhunting section has a walkthrough as to how to score a buck. (I think)

and here it is:

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=2529213&mpage=1