Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Best location for a Trail Camera >

Best location for a Trail Camera

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Best location for a Trail Camera

Old 10-19-2009, 07:30 PM
Spike

Default Best location for a Trail Camera

What location is the best place to set up a Trail Camera. Just baught me a new Cuddeback and I plan on setting it up this week.
Old 10-19-2009, 07:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

over looking a scrape
Old 10-19-2009, 07:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Somewhere that it won't be stolen....

If you hunt public land.
Old 10-19-2009, 08:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

On a trail.
Old 10-19-2009, 08:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

I wouldn't put it at the specific spot I'll be hunting at, especially if I were trophy hunting. The added intrusion along with the camera flashes that go with that specific spot, will tip off the deer of your activity. I'd set up some place where I think they will be feeding or perhaps a travel trail I think they are using to access the feeding area. That way if they are leary of that specific spot, will still access the feeding area and you have positive confirmation there is a shooter buck in that area.

iSnipe
Old 10-20-2009, 04:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I actualy like the scrape setting the best. This will give you THE best indicator as to what you have in your area for antlered deer. Also, consider setting it up above the scrape and angled down for the best shots and the best chance that your trail cam won't spook any animals. You'll soon find that trail cams become addicting and almost as fun as actually hunting. Good luck
Old 10-20-2009, 04:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by IL-Cornfed
You'll soon find that trail cams become addicting and almost as fun as actually hunting.
You forgot to mention an excellent weight-loss plan for your wallet too!

iSnipe
Old 10-20-2009, 07:10 PM
Fork Horn

I like putting my trail cam on a deer run adjoining 2 bush or any trail that acts like a funnel. This way if I hunt on one spot or the other (which is necessary because of wind conditions) I know when to expect them at that particular stand. For some reason some deer always come early and others are always late,when it's almost too dark to shoot. I also noticed that the same deer coming late in the evening are also late coming in the morning.So if that buck comes in too late in the PM try staying in your tree later than usual in the morning.
Old 10-20-2009, 07:16 PM
Fork Horn

put it over a scrape or mock scrape. Hang a scent wick with buck urine or tarsal scent above it and you are guarateed to get picture of multiple bucks. I wouldn't use dominant buck urine, unless you know you're onto a dominant buck in the area. It will spook the smaller bucks.