Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Need advice on cold weather hunting gear >

Need advice on cold weather hunting gear

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Need advice on cold weather hunting gear

Old 10-15-2009, 08:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

My feet used to always get cold...last year I began using a base layer polypro sock with Rocky wool blend socks over that. Along with my Muck boots, feet were warm all year last go around. coldest day for me was 14 degrees. Only thing that got cold was my face.
Old 10-15-2009, 09:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

Sweaty feet is my problem and here it can get pretty cool come late fall/early winter. First layer is always polypro wicking sock linear, 2 second layer is a wool sock of approriate weight, 3rd is the boot & 4th if need be is get your feet off the frozen gound, floor or stand. I wear an entirely different boot for sitting then walking, my choice is Schnee Pac boots for sitting. They fit me very loose, lots of wiggle room. I never wear these boots or my socks into the sitting spot. When walking into the spot i dress as little as possible to limit sweat up and then layer up as needed. Polypro. undergarments are all I will use when its cool to cold, followed by layers of fleece or wool. A wind proof layer. Raven wear garments are excellent for sitting on cold days. Don't leave out the headwear, lose a lot heat through our heads. Handwarmers can be popped in your boots as well your mitts. Make time to stretch and get the blood flowing, arm circles, jumpjacks, etc all work. Eat and drink properly, as much as I love coffee, caffine is a killer in cold I avoid chocolate, pop, coffee, tea, etc when hunting. Cup of soup or even broth is a great warm drink sub with some nurishment value as well. Small sips of water are my main stay, stay hydrated but minimize the need to void (pee). Food; A good breaky, snack or lunch with carbs such as granola, cereal bars, PBJ sandwiches, etc.

Heater body suits, sleeping bags, etc can be used as well or in addition to layer with good garments.
Old 10-16-2009, 08:42 AM
Fork Horn

I just bought new boots that are amazing...

Cabelas "Inferno Pac 2000"

2000 Grams of Thinsulate

100% Waterproof

$139.99

Last edited by shawnfogelman; 10-16-2009 at 08:46 AM.
Old 10-22-2009, 02:46 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by johnnyf
Hey folks,

I've been hunting for about 10 years now in Delaware County, New York. I primarily hunt from a tree stand and cannot stay warm in cold weather. I've been researching "cold weather hunting gear" and found some information but am seeking more advice here. I have ordered polypropylene fleece thermals, sock liners, and balaclava. I've been using woolrich wool pants and a refridgewear coat for years along with Rocky boots (1,000 grams of thinsulate). My feet alwats get cold! I want to buy some really warm boots and outer layer clothing. What is the best stuff out there for cold weather stand hunting?

Thanks,

John
okay guys,

Here's an update. I got a bunch of heavy polypropylene fleece thermals (botoms, turtle neck uppers, sock liners, and balaclavas). I did some research and got a pair of Lacrosse PAC boots with 2000 grams of thinsulate lining. I've got plenty of wool socks for over the polypropylene sock liners.

Now I just need to get some really good outerwear (Parka and bibs). It's got to withstand very cold weather and be waterproof! What can you guys recommend in this department?

Thanks,

JOhn
Old 10-22-2009, 03:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Honestly? I recommend a whole new thread since we're talking a different subject and it will also help you get a better broader variety of answers to work with.

iSnipe