Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Buck urine as an attractant

Old 10-10-2009, 04:33 PM
Spike

Default Buck urine as an attractant

I killed a buck today and decided to keep his pee in a jar to use as an attractant, has anyone tried it with any success?
Old 10-10-2009, 05:11 PM
Fork Horn

Was it a young buck? if so, it might serve as a irritant for a larger buck that has set up territorial rights to that area!
So maybe if you have a Big Buck that thinks HE shouldn't be around
his area he might seek out the scent of the smaller one to kick his A** again.
On the other hand,if it's a good size buck you might scare off the smaller ones thinking the big boy is around.
I would use it when you start seeing signs of territorial fighting and a good amount of rubs going on.then break out the rattling antlers and buck call and put out the buck urine and give it a try.
Old 10-10-2009, 05:26 PM
Spike

It was an 11 point. They are rutting pretty hard here there are several rubs and scrapes and this big boy's neck was swollen up pretty good. I was thinking about setting it out on another big buck's territory and using a grunt call. But I am not sure if I should just use a grunt call and no scent.
Old 10-10-2009, 06:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think it's worth a shot. If you dont' try it you'll never know if it works. I doubt you'll scare any away.
Hey where are the pics of the 11pt.?
Old 10-10-2009, 06:41 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by luster
It was an 11 point. They are rutting pretty hard here there are several rubs and scrapes and this big boy's neck was swollen up pretty good. I was thinking about setting it out on another big buck's territory and using a grunt call. But I am not sure if I should just use a grunt call and no scent.
Hmmm..
Seems kinda early for them to be "rutting".
Where are you located??
Maybe in the farthest points north i guess.
Old 10-11-2009, 04:19 AM
Typical Buck

its a great idea,we do it every year. last week a friend killed a doe,he saved the urine and brought it to me. i put it in a quart jar in my spare frig,as more deer die during the season,bucks or does,we will add more urine to the jar. as the rut gets closer and scent glands on hind legs get rank,we will cut the hair from the glands and add it to the jar. then we start draining off a bottle as needed to use in mock scrapes. there are 6 of us that do this every year,it all goes into one jar. last yr we killed 6-7 deer while using the mock scrapes. we watched lots of does come in and use these scrapes .
Old 10-11-2009, 05:54 AM
Spike

I live in Southern Missouri. We have had some cold weather this year I think it is what caused the deer to start rutting earlier than usual.