Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer avoiding your corn too?

Old 10-05-2009, 06:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

They aren't coming to my corn as good as usual either. I just moved most of my stands in the oak hammocks and started seeing alot more deer.
Old 10-05-2009, 08:51 AM
Spike

Im in Maryland, I put corn out the first week on Sept 15th and they didnt touch if for a week. Now there are tearing it up. I need to get a feeder they are eating 50lbs every 2-3 days...
Old 10-05-2009, 10:41 AM
Fork Horn

I have a wooden trough feeder. Deer are into it like crazy. Hung a timer/feeder up about 200 Yards away and they don't go near it. Go figure.
Old 10-05-2009, 10:57 AM
Spike

Earlier this year I was walking to one of my feeders and saw a doe eating corn. This was during the summer and before the acorns fell.
Old 10-05-2009, 12:11 PM
Spike

as long as the acorns are still dropping i'd highly advise you to hunt them. deer were hittin my corn hard then as soon as the acorns started dropping ive only gotten a few does comin in to bait late at night. i switched up tactics and hunted a big acorn flat and put one doe on the ground already and have passed up a few young bucks. but they're still hammerin the acorns so look for em and hunt em
Old 10-05-2009, 02:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Bears and a Corn pile

Originally Posted by rustynobles
do you have bears where you are? last year i was getting super frustrated with the deer not eating my corn. it was several things but the main thing that ran them off was on my trail camera. we had bears start moving in the area i was hunting and while the deer will still be there they generally try to stay away from the bears as much as possible. bears are lazy too, they'll lay down at a corn pile and rake it into their mouth. try spreading your corn out over a large area and don't make mounds of corn that just attracts them for some reason.
Boy don't I know exactly what you are talking about. Back in August I went through the exact same problem. I too had a bear coming to my "corn pile", especially after I spiked it up with alittle corn flavored "Buck Jam". The only way to get rid of the bear(s) is simply quit feeding them. After I quit putting corn down the bear moved on. You are right about the bears scaring the deer off too, but like I said, once I pulled the corn the bear went on his way and the deer came back. Good luck.

Old 10-05-2009, 03:58 PM
Fork Horn

the deer will hit the acorns hard until they are gone then they will make a b-line for the corn it has higher fat content to get them through winter
acorns are higher in protien wchich they need for body development
Old 10-05-2009, 04:12 PM
Spike

Default corn vs acorn

Originally Posted by aaronu.
Deer are hitting the acorns hard. I have 265 acres to myself, and it's hard to find the deer. I've lloked for signs, but I've had no luck because everything is really so thick. I'm hoping that once the acorns are gone; they will hit the corn. Any input would be mucho appreciated.
deer will only come to corn when all other goodies are gone; found this out a couple of years ago
Old 10-05-2009, 07:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just like some have said, once the acorns start dropping, especially the white oaks, the deer will feed very little on corn. They are eating corn down here right now, but the white oaks are full of acorns, and once they start dropping, I won't waste my time on corn. Later in the season when the acorns are gone, they will hit the corn again. The biggest problem for me this season is I believe there are going to be too many white oak acorns. This will make hunting a little harder. If they aren't hitting your corn now, hunt the acorns.
Old 10-06-2009, 09:16 AM
Spike

Now I have to find the "LUCKY" trees