Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Need Help Building Permanent Treestand >

Need Help Building Permanent Treestand

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Need Help Building Permanent Treestand

Old 10-01-2009, 05:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Question Need Help Building Permanent Treestand

I have a couple of places that I would like to build a treestand for. I've never built a permanent treestand, ie, like boards and nails to fasten to 3 or 4 trees. I hunted off of them twice in my life.

I'm thinking most likely will be using 3 trees because it's easier to find a clump of 3 than 4. What I need help with is the strength issue. I might have someone else be up there with me. This will be a rifle stand. Not far up, about 7'-10' high. For the main boards I'm thinking of using 2" by 6"s instead of 2" by 4"s.(more strength)

Now I'm no carpenter, but I have built a few things. What I'm wanting to learn is how to best build the platform for strength.

1.) Do I use nails or screws?
2.) Do I need treated lumber or can poly or paint work?
3.) Do I pre-drill holes to prevent cracking?
4.) Do I need to add joists or just top boards?
5.) What size floor boards do I need? 2"x4"s?

Besides just putting up the 3 main boards, how best do I attach them to the tree? Do I also attach some sort of supporting boards too? I really would appreciate a detailed description, a picture, a drawing or link that would help.

If this project lends itself to be too much, I'll just pull out the manufactured treestands. LOL!

Thanks,

iSnipe

Edit: In regards to #1 above, I did learn that screws hold better than nails. I don't know if they are stronger, but are more secure. Also, nails back out over time.

"To save you some time, I know the dangers of a wooden built stand. I have many... and I mean many different treestands and climbing sticks, etc. This is a fun project I'd like to work on. Thanks!"

Last edited by iSnipe; 10-02-2009 at 01:28 AM.
Old 10-02-2009, 05:08 AM
Spike

1) Use lags to affix to the tree. Use deck screws to put your decking on.

2)Go with treated. It will save time, and after buying paint and stuff, it will probably save you money.

3)For the lags, yes, pre-drill. For screwing your decking down, no.

4)Depending on your span, and choice of decking, joists could be a good idea. You can get away with using some 5/4 board if you have some joists.

5)As mentioned above, if you use joists, you can get away with 5/4 board.
Old 10-02-2009, 10:47 AM
Spike

By the time you get done buying all the materials and devoting your time to building it, you could have purchased a couple of good ladder stands.
Old 10-02-2009, 12:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Need Help Building Permanent Treestand-ladder-stand.jpg

hope this helps
Old 10-02-2009, 04:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey guys! Appreciate the tips and diagram.

vipertech - Obviously you missed the last part of my message I had above. Long reply short... I have a treestand or two.(tongue in cheek) And I doubt 3 2"x6"s and 5-7 2"x4"s, some lag bolts and wood screws come up to even 1/2 the cost of 1 ladder stands. We'll see! Thanks for the advice regardless.

I think this project is a go guys! Thanks for the help and if anyone else wants to add a tip or two besides telling me the cost of materials will be enough to buy 2 ladder stands, I'm open for ideas. LOL!

iSnipe

"Stay tuned guys. I'll get pics of the finished project when I'm done along with some details."
Old 10-02-2009, 04:51 PM
Fork Horn

My permanent treestands are 16' w/ 4' platforms and 32" sides cost me about 360.00 each and over a 8 year span I have 15 of them... The metal stands are no comparison of which I have 3... The wooden one take time and money but if I'm going to sit in a stand all day that's what I want to sit in... Good luck!
Old 10-03-2009, 04:09 PM
Typical Buck

If you are planning on screwing , nailing or bolting 2X4's (whatever) to trees and then attaching top boards remember .........the wind will have the trees moving in different directions and pull the screws , nails , bolts loose .
Old 10-03-2009, 04:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Ed McDonald
If you are planning on screwing , nailing or bolting 2X4's (whatever) to trees and then attaching top boards remember .........the wind will have the trees moving in different directions and pull the screws , nails , bolts loose .
That's right. Hence my decision to stay lower as it is affected much less. Thanks for the heads-up.

iSnipe
Old 10-05-2009, 02:13 AM
Spike

I say go all out and build it for two, and make the walls insulated with a propane heater. Put a funnel and hose hook up in the corner for RELIEF, just make sure to bury the other end of the hose in crushed rock and cover it with sod (no smell). Bring out the meals in a bag and stay all day. I've even seen some guys go to the department store and get wireless drive-way alarm systems which you can set up with multiple sending units and set up a perimeter. All you need to power the senders are batteries and the main unit can be powered by a portable power box. The main unit has up to four zones (sender) that light up and or beep indicating which one was tripped.

What the heck, you only live once.
Old 10-05-2009, 03:45 AM
Fork Horn

A permenant stand may cost a little less, but if you want to "tweak" the location, you're screwed. Once it's there, it's there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.