Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Need Help Building Permanent Treestand >

Need Help Building Permanent Treestand

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Need Help Building Permanent Treestand

Old 10-05-2009, 04:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Need Help Building Permanent Treestand-stand.jpg
screws, nails, and lag bolts.
I use nails to start and get something there to work from, then lag bolts for the main supports, then screws so the wind movement doesn't work the decking apart.
Old 10-05-2009, 05:56 AM
Spike

vipertech - Obviously you missed the last part of my message I had above. Long reply short... I have a treestand or two.(tongue in cheek) And I doubt 3 2"x6"s and 5-7 2"x4"s, some lag bolts and wood screws come up to even 1/2 the cost of 1 ladder stands. We'll see! Thanks for the advice regardless.
No, I saw the last part. I based my response on the fact that I built a few wooden ladder stands in the past. I ultimately sold all of them. I used pressure treated lumber, tongue and groove for the platform and decking boards ripped down the center as ladder rungs. The cost of the materials, screws, paint, etc was on par with a decent store-bought ladder stand of roughly the same dimensions. Factoring in the time it takes to build the stand AND the fact that the home-built stand does not adhere to any TMA standards, it's just not worth it.

But if you still want to go forward and make a wooden ladder stand, here's some tips:

Dado cut the ladder rungs. It's much stronger than just nailing some rungs against a couple of long pieces. In case a screw or nail comes out, the rung still have a chance of not falling. I used decking boards ripped down the center because the sides of the decking boards are rounded. This made the wood last longer because sharp edges would constantly rip away from stepping on them.

I made my platforms with tongue and groove pieces. It was very strong and the grooves added a bit of traction.

I used large eyebolts on the sides of my platforms. I hooked ratchet straps to these eyebolts to secure the stand to the tree.

I would cut a V notch in the back of my stand where the platform would rest against the tree. Then, I drove about 6 bolts into the V cut. Cut off the head of the bolt then sanded the remaining shaft down into a point. These points would then help anchor into the tree.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-05-2009, 08:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Buy the friggin' ladder stand! It is much easier to put up and is mobile. Permanent are just that permanent. Plus no matter what materials you use, they will only last two to three seasons before the wind and squirrels have them in need of repair.

If you must build the permanent, don't put it in multiple trees. During a decent wind event, each tree will sway in different directions at differing degrees. They will tear the stand apart. When I used to build them, I would find a tree with a "Y" and place the boards across the "Y" to create the platform.
Old 10-05-2009, 05:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by vipertech
By the time you get done buying all the materials and devoting your time to building it, you could have purchased a couple of good ladder stands.

Exactly what I was thinking. Unless you just have all of these supplies just sitting around already, then I dont see the sense in doing it. Do yourself a favor and get a manufactured stand.
Old 10-05-2009, 07:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I should realize by now by being knowledgeable people are always going to say things one already knows. That's life and this is no exception, so I'll work with that. I'm doing ok guys. Have more manufactured stands that 95%+ of the common hunter, besides outfitters. Use to be a bowhunting freak! I hunt; that's what I love to do. However, treestand building is new to me and I want to make one. I have API's, Loc-Ons, River's Edge, Ol'Man, Staghorn, Summit and several others in climbers, portables and ladderstands, not mentioning all the ladders, climbing sticks, etc, that go along with the game. It's one of my hobbies being in the woods; regardless if I get anything or not. I'm sure you know what I mean.

=============
tschaef,

Hey buddy! Thanks for that picture. That's the kind of thing I'm going to build; nothing fancy, just a project I can sit on this fall/winter. LOL!

vipertech,

Hey! You were absolutely correct on the cost of materials... meaning they are HIGH! So far I only bought 3 2"x6"s, 5 2"x4"s, 12 lag screws, some screws and a couple of heads for the drill and I'm about 70% the cost of a new ladder stand. LOL! Thanks for your reply and additional help.

I'm looking forward in doing this guys. Yeah, I have a few "real" stands already, but it seems traditional to me to have said one has built at least one wooden tree stand. Someday I'll have some stories to share about that stand!

Thanks,

iSnipe
Old 10-06-2009, 03:59 AM
Spike

You can lag to the tree but I normally go to the hardwar and get some steel cable and furrals and a turnbuckle to tighten . Go around the tree to a turnbuckle and tighten , this seems to make a big diffrence over the years.
Old 10-06-2009, 08:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thumbs up

Hey Cedarswamp1!

You know, I thought of that. Also, thinning some upper limbs will let the wind pass through much easier too, but then we're talking getting the ropes and climbing gear out... that and a good Silki. Interesting you should mention turnbuckles. I was thinking about it. LOL!

iSnipe
Old 10-06-2009, 04:29 PM
Fork Horn

If you are building between 2-3 trees they will have to be big solid trees. I have built them with 2x12's with 4, 5inch lag screws into each tree and still had the trees move enough to break them apart before winters end.
My best results have come from building on 4 poles set in the ground 4 ft. or 2 poles with the platform leaning against the tree( like a ladder stand just bigger) and lagged to the tree. I would use a big tree too to lessen the movement from the wind. Then you can make it a 4x4 or 4x8 or whatever platform to build your walls on. Also an x braced house on poles with the poles leaning inward to create a larger base works to set on top of the ground. You can also build them on an old trailer and park them where you want.
Old 10-06-2009, 04:59 PM
Fork Horn

just my opinion and i can say i have built quite a few perms..... you dont save money they are 100 times more dangerous and just plane dont last .. for 69 bucks at dicks you can buy a 15 foot ladder no bells or whistles except for the safety harness that usually comes with them .
Old 10-06-2009, 05:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Originally Posted by nysmoker
just my opinion and i can say i have built quite a few perms..... you dont save money they are 100 times more dangerous and just plane dont last .. for 69 bucks at dicks you can buy a 15 foot ladder no bells or whistles except for the safety harness that usually comes with them .
Who said anything about saving money?

You didn't read my post where I already own ladder stands. In fact, I'm leaving in a few minutes to go buy 3 more ladder stands right now. LOL! Saving money? Please, you only live once.

And they are NOT 100 x more dangerous. That's an exaggeration, but more dangerous? Most likely and don't really care given the real odds. I'll take the risk.

iSnipe

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.