Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Crazy Stuff!

Old 09-25-2009, 06:40 PM
Fork Horn

Question Crazy Stuff!

Just wondering if anyone has some crazy hunting or shooting stories. Today I was shooting in the bow to get some last minute practice in. I let the arrow fly from 30 yrds and as I waited to see where it hit the target all I saw was a ball of feathers. A blue jay had flown in front of the arrow at the wrong time. It was the strangest thing I've seen.
Old 09-25-2009, 07:15 PM
Fork Horn

a few years ago bow hunting i was 20 feet up a tree in my lock on stand,in full camo and was just inside the woods line watching a field.
i had seen a chicken hawk flying around looking for supper.never gave him another thought until right at last light[dark in the woods!] when all of a sudden i was face to face with a flying hawk swooping in for what he thought was supper !!!!!!!! i turned out to be much bigger than what he was expecting LOL ! after a slapping match he flew off
and i can honestly say we both needed to change our undies !!!
it's funny now but at the time i was glad i had my safety harness on !!!
Old 09-26-2009, 09:16 AM
Boone & Crockett

Several years ago I was sitting in a ladder stand right at dark and had a hawk or owl try to land on the rail of the stand. It will unnerve you.
Old 09-26-2009, 09:27 AM
Fork Horn

Once I was gun hunting and just about to fall asleep when
a squirrel jump from a tree limb next to me and land right on the barrel of my gun!
Scared the crap out of me and him, we just kinda looked at each other for a minute and he jumped back onto another tree trunk and barked at me for what seemed like an hour!
Old 09-26-2009, 11:23 AM
tf
Spike

This is a little off the subject, but very important to keep in mind. Just recently my friend was practicing with his bow, he retrieved his arrows after a round and we think he had hit an arrow(?). When he shot again, the front 6 inches of the shaft w/broadhead slung off to the side about 20 yds, and the remaining part slide down the riser and splintered apart, driving it through his hand! He left the 8-10 inches of arrow in his hand and went to the E.R.. They were worried about the fiberglass/carbon pieces entering his blood stream, it was a lenghty surgery and cleaning process, and he still isn't "out of the woods" yet, in fear of some particles not removed! He is an accomplished bowhunter (shoots instinctively), and "knows" what he is doing. We never thought to check the arrows out because usually you just know when you hit one or feel it when you knock it etc. Just be careful.
Old 09-26-2009, 05:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wink

This is more funny than crazy but one night my dad his twin brother and their younger brother were coon hunting with their redbone's and walker's and after 4 hour's of chasing their hound's my dads twin(Kenny)sat against a tree and took a nap so dad had the idea of unscrewing the light out of his nite lite hat and he did without waking him up so dad and his lil' brother went got the dogs and walked back to the house,forgetting Kenny.In the morning at about 8:30 Kenny walks in while dad is eating breakfast and Kenny is 6'5" 250 or so and he walks up behind dad grabs him by the shoulder picks him up and takes him outside well it ended up with Kenny getting whooped....lol

TRUE STORY
Old 09-26-2009, 07:07 PM
Fork Horn

great stories.... and also thanks for the heads up tf.
Old 09-26-2009, 07:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Exclamation

Twice I had an owl land in front of me. Each time they chose a perch exactly 2 1/2' feet from my face. LOL! I was in a climber and was facing the tree and they landed on a limb. One was early in the morning barely first light and the other was the same amount of light, but in the evening. Once had a hawk come in and take a dive at me only to veer off at about 10' foot away. That was startling! Chickadees on my shoulder, several perched around me.... a squirrel on the back of my arm temporarily. I was rock still and he had to come and investigate. LOL!

One time when I was bowhunting on the ground. Just before last light I hear one animal coming. I know it's a buck. Problem was he was getting real close and I couldn't see him! Then I started to think "It's a bear!", but then now I see the tall grass moving 15ft. from me, but still nothing! Then a porcupine came wobbling in and walked by me at about 10ft, but then he smelled the fresh black dirt I kicked up. I wanted to clear the ground under me so I can be quiet instead of standing on crunchy leaves. He seemed to like it and sniffed it for about a minute. Now don't forget, I'M IN THAT BLACK DIRT TOO! Yeah, he was at my boots. He even sniffed them. Then he walked around me about 2ft. away and started chewing on an arrow nock as I took my quiver off and leaned it against a tree. LOL! I have many good experiences in the woods!

iSnipe
Old 09-27-2009, 06:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

LOL, that amazing.

Last year I had a squirrel climb into my treestand with me lol. I would have loved to seen myself freakin out.