Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Anyone for hole huntin

Old 05-20-2003, 06:08 PM

Default Anyone for hole huntin

I recently on my last humt for mulies was having a terrible succesion rate because the deer did not buy my blind. So i said I will dig a hole and make a pit blind like in duck hunting. I set up under a bramble bush and watched the bucks role in. I clearly think that was a stroke of genious and think that other hunters should try it if you have not. So tell me what you think of this.

Paul
B.C. ,Canada
Old 05-20-2003, 07:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Anyone for hole huntin

not a bad idea at all.......only sorry to burst your bubble but i was about 6 and had a foxhole to hide in......me adn a friend dug it....put the dirt all around us....dug a supply tunnel...when my grama would throw a shrub or tree out it would be planted for camo.....great little hole....all we did was lay in it lol.....but you gota do what you gota do....and you used your head....many guys would done nothing....good job.....me and my dad deer hunt like that almost...no hole...but few old fallen trees below the surrounding area and some sticks piled up made the greatest hiding spot there is....blaze orange we dont get busted moving or anything....good job on usind your head....be careful in the winter....that may get cold....i know our hole held the cold air in and the snow and my butt in it sucked....i am getting a treestand or a seat off the ground for next season....
Old 05-20-2003, 07:49 PM

Sounds like it just might work? No view of your movement, shielded from the wind but you may have an issue if it start raining.

But all in all it sounds good. The only other concern would be how well you can place shots?

Good Idea, I may just have to dig myself a hole before season is Ga. and try it out.

Thanks for sharing.
Jred
Old 05-21-2003, 12:48 AM

I believe there was an article in Whitetail Mag. a few years back on this (blinds) where they were having a problem getting a big buck that hung out in the middle of a large field. They decided to dig a fox hole out in the field to get close enough for a shot. Worked for them as for the Military[:-] oops wrong subject anyway give it a go because doing something different usually pays off!
Old 05-21-2003, 06:01 AM
Boone & Crockett

If it works, go for it. Only drawbacks I see are: Limited visibility, not very easy to move your stand, around here other critters would want to share your stand and if it rains you need a rubber duck.
Old 05-21-2003, 08:34 AM

This is a really great way to create a hiding spot where nothing else will work. I' ve used this tactic along the edges of wheat fields where there' s no trees suffiecient enough to hang a stand. It works great. If you really get into it and plan to use the same hole each year you can brace it up with some 2x12' s and add a roof to keep the water off.
Old 05-21-2003, 11:33 AM
Boone & Crockett

Back in my goose hunting days deer would always feed in amung the decoys while up to six of us was in the goose pit. One of us would always use the pit during the gun season. The deer would run across the field right past the pit when people started to move around in the woods and whomever was in the pit got deer every time.
Old 05-21-2003, 09:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

we have one. we just built kind of a blind out of logs and brush on the top to cover up our heads alittle bit. never shot anything out of it but did have deer walk by us just not shooters
Old 05-22-2003, 04:42 PM

they work great.a friend of mind had one,hes was disabled and it worked great as long as you didn' t leave anything in it that a snake could hide under.
We took several rattlers out of it.[X(][X(].

lay a couple of logs around it and it gives you a little moer height.