Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Scent Free?

Old 09-24-2009, 01:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Scent Free?

How do you guy's try to keep your clothes scent free as possble?I just went out side cut some cedar switches and put in my overall's like in the legs and body part than same with my shirt I put the switches in the arm's and body part than I got a big black lawn bag cut some cedar put in at the bottom than I put my clothes in and went pulled some hickory leaves from the tree in my yard than I put the leaves over the clothes.....I hope it help's this season!

What do ya'll do?
Old 09-24-2009, 02:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

tttttttttt
Old 09-24-2009, 03:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

I wash my garments in scent-free detergent and dry them with no dryer sheets and only after the lint trap has been cleaned out. The garments go into and air tight bag until I use them. I take a shower with scent-free soap and use scent-free anti-persperant. Then I spray down with ScentKiller when I get to the woods.
Old 09-24-2009, 03:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use to have 3 Scent-Loc suits... really got into it at one time, but since I switched to rifle mainly, I use the wind more. However, back in the days when I was a bow shootin' deerslayer, I learned a lot about being scent free.

Most people using Scent-Loc use it to get scent free, but are not going far enough:

1.) Their underwear was washed with reg. detergent with perfume in it
2.) They wash and dry their clothes, but the dryer NEEDS to be cleaned out first!
3.) Lack of a mask defeats the purpose of the suit. Mouth gives out the most odors!
4.) Their socks were washed with reg. detergent as well. (have perfumes)
5.) Suit isn't stored in scent-free container. (will absorb contaminating odors)

I use plastic totes to store my hunting clothes after they have been washed. Before you use the dryer, throw a scent-free cleaned large towel in there and start to dry that. It will be like wiping out the inside of the residual odors from the many previous washes where regular detergent was used. If you can, have a separate dryer just for hunting clothes that is outside or somewhere where it will draw fresh air. Most hunters use the same dryer for their hunting clothes, but do not think "where" the air is coming from that dries the clothes! It comes from the inside of the house. What is happening then is that your hunting clothes are being dried using contaminated air that is circulating inside your house. Having drier draw fresh air makes your clothes even more scent free.

Some people put charcoal or baking soda inside the container to draw up any residual odors. Some place dirt or natural plant materials to create a cover scent.

I can type for hours on this stuff. Getting ridiculously close to deer was a good time for me!

Good luck,

iSnipe
Old 09-24-2009, 03:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

That might be the longest run-on sentence in the history of man.

But I pretty much do the same thing as SWT
Old 09-25-2009, 07:48 AM
Fork Horn

lay off the garlic and other smelly foods, too. it really makes a difference.
Old 09-25-2009, 07:34 PM
Fork Horn

I wash my clothes in scent free detergant too, but i try not to use the dryer if possible. I like to let mine dry out on the clothesline. Sometimes thats not possible in the wintertime. So if i do use the dryer, i make sure to use some of the scent free hunting type dryer sheets and then let them air out afterwards if possible.

I just think there is too much perfume type smell associated with the dryer.
Old 09-25-2009, 08:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

Scent-Loc.........
Biggest rip-off ever devised to separate hunters from their money!
Use un-scented detergents and soaps, use a little baking soda and watch the wind!
Old 09-26-2009, 03:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

The cedar or anything else to attempt to cover human scent does not work.
Deer can process many different scents at the same time.
Therefore adding anything (cedar, earth, etc) simply means they smell you AND whatever you add.

Cover scents are every bit as big a rip as scentlok.

Steve
Old 09-26-2009, 03:48 AM
Typical Buck

hand wash all my clothes in good ol baking soda. i have a wooden wardrobe i built just for camo. i add slices of a cedar limb that i saw up on my miter saw. use odorlock spray often while hunting. i never put my clothes in the dryer, most times they are hung on the back porch to dry and sometimes they stay there for weeks during the season.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.