HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Scent Free?
Thread: Scent Free?
View Single Post
Old 09-24-2009, 03:58 PM
iSnipe
Nontypical Buck

I use to have 3 Scent-Loc suits... really got into it at one time, but since I switched to rifle mainly, I use the wind more. However, back in the days when I was a bow shootin' deerslayer, I learned a lot about being scent free.

Most people using Scent-Loc use it to get scent free, but are not going far enough:

1.) Their underwear was washed with reg. detergent with perfume in it
2.) They wash and dry their clothes, but the dryer NEEDS to be cleaned out first!
3.) Lack of a mask defeats the purpose of the suit. Mouth gives out the most odors!
4.) Their socks were washed with reg. detergent as well. (have perfumes)
5.) Suit isn't stored in scent-free container. (will absorb contaminating odors)

I use plastic totes to store my hunting clothes after they have been washed. Before you use the dryer, throw a scent-free cleaned large towel in there and start to dry that. It will be like wiping out the inside of the residual odors from the many previous washes where regular detergent was used. If you can, have a separate dryer just for hunting clothes that is outside or somewhere where it will draw fresh air. Most hunters use the same dryer for their hunting clothes, but do not think "where" the air is coming from that dries the clothes! It comes from the inside of the house. What is happening then is that your hunting clothes are being dried using contaminated air that is circulating inside your house. Having drier draw fresh air makes your clothes even more scent free.

Some people put charcoal or baking soda inside the container to draw up any residual odors. Some place dirt or natural plant materials to create a cover scent.

I can type for hours on this stuff. Getting ridiculously close to deer was a good time for me!

Good luck,

iSnipe