Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

7mm Mag. Deer caliber?

Old 09-20-2009, 08:25 AM
Fork Horn

Ive used 160gr nosler partitions in mine for years now. Ive never had to track one yet, and seeing that a 30/30 has a lot less power and has killed more whitetail then any other caliber out there, its more then enough gun. Only reason I got one was for the farmers field in wisconsin. In the woods, my 30/30 was plenty of gun. Now for them tough oklahoma deer with armor plating, I finally bellied up and bought a 300 RUM and shoot 180gr partitions out of it,lol. Its more of an out west gun, and a little overkill, but dang it shoots good, so cant part with it. Practice at the range, as you should with any gun of any caliber, and there wont be a problem of bullet proof deer next season.
Old 09-20-2009, 08:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

I quit using my 7MM RM for most of my deer hunting! It's not that the 7MM mags are not good for deer, it is excellent! With some overkill! Not that I am against overkill.
I feel that the problem with the 7MM mags on game less than 200 lbs. is the bullet, not the speed or the caliber! Most bullets are designed to expand best at certain velocities and ranges. Most bullets designed for magnums are designed for heavy game, at longer ranges. When you hit a 100-200 lb. whitetail at < 100 yards, the heavy constructed bullet may not expand much, if at all, at any velocity! Especially if your not hitting much bone, such as a lung shot!
As for the myth of "knockdown power," ANY decent caliber, even with FMJ bullets will knock down a deer with head, spine or double shoulder shots! That's just bullet placement!
So, if you are going for double lung shots on smaller game, just be sure NOT to use a bullet designed for a 600+ lb. animal! Or you will likely have an animal that will run anywhere from DRT to 100+ yards, with little or no blood trail to follow!
Old 09-20-2009, 05:33 PM
Fork Horn

JAGMAGMAN does have a point...a Winchester Fail Safe designed to shoot lengthwise through a moose will probably not expand much on a broadside deer...though the deer will die...

That is why proper bullet selection is still important...

In small calibers, light bullets are too light and can fragment and make a general mess of things...heavy bullets and/or tough-premium bullets are the ticket here...

In large calibers, heavy / solid bullets are made to knock down elephants and T-Rexs...fragile bullets like the Ballistic tip is the ticket here...

The 7mm bullet is a high sectional density bullet anyway, especially in the 150+ grain sizes, so penetration will be better than normally expected even with "fragile" or soft bullets...

Stick with non-premium bullets (Powerpoint, Core-lok, etc), or semi-fragile bullets like the Nosler Ballistic Tip, Nosler Partition (which also works well on very large game), Ballistic Silvertip.

IMO, I would avoid the all copper bullets, Barnes X series and the Winchester Failsafe, and the really tough bullets, Swift A-frame, Trophy Bonded, etc...too expensive, and really too tough...save them for moose or bear.
Old 09-20-2009, 09:50 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by iSnipe
No it's not. LOL! You're getting lost with semantics here my friend. Plus, you should have said "way too much".

The definition of sufficient is actually the quantity that can fill a need or requirement, but without being abundant.

So, back to what I originally said, keeping in mind the true definition of what sufficient is, the 7mm mag is NOT a sufficient caliber because "...it has way too much knock down power.... more than enough needed for a thin skinned, thin ribbed whitetail."

Therefore, since the 7mm mag has MORE than enough power, it is an abundant caliber for whitetails. Which isn't sufficient

LOL!

iSnipe
I'm confused, by your own definition, insufficient would mean the 7mm does not fill the need or the requirement without being abundant? What is abundant, or overly abundant? A hunter that shoots a deer with a 243 and the bullets exits, is the remaining terminal energy that is spent outside the body overly abundant, making the 243 insufficient or exsessive by your use of the word? Hardly!

I say the 7mm is a perfect varmint, deer, pronghorn and elk round. Just pick the right bullet for the game and shoot away.

I moved from a 338 win mag to a 300 win mag and now to a 7mm rem mag. I prefer Nosler bullets, 160gr PT and 160gr AB controlled expansion even on a rib/lung shot

Dead is dead!
Old 09-21-2009, 12:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wink

Originally Posted by Water Swatter

"I'm confused,..."
Don't worry compadre. We already know.

iSnipe
Old 09-21-2009, 03:42 AM
Typical Buck

the 7mm is the perfect varmint rifle,now i'm confused

water swatter,i guess you used the 338 and the 300 for varmint hunting also. about like killing flies with hand grenades.
Old 09-21-2009, 05:29 AM
Spike

I shoot a Remington 7mm Mag. I shoot core lokt 150 grain bullets through it and i have never shot a deer with that thing that i havn't found. (Knock on wood) I have had my rifle for about 7 or 8 yrs now and have had plenty of people say that it is too big for NC deer but i disagree. The right grain bullets and you could shoot anything that you want with a 7mm mag.
Old 09-21-2009, 05:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

7mm rem mag is all i use w/ 150gr bullets
sometimes it does some "excessive" damage, but I don't worry about that... just don't hit them in the shoulder!
Old 09-21-2009, 11:14 AM
Spike

In then hands of a good marksman, marksman being the key word here, a 7mm mag will take down anything that walks on two or four legs on the North American continent....PERIOD.

I hunt the deep south with a 30/06 where most shots are 25-75 yards, and I often aim for the neck. There is no meat loss and they drop where they stand. BUT...if the animal is walking or I don't have a really clean shot, I go for the vitals. NEVER lost an animal, but I have also let many walk or run by because I wasn't 100% confident in the shot.

I truly strive for 1 shot 1 kill.

Last edited by stancel; 09-21-2009 at 11:16 AM.
Old 09-21-2009, 12:07 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by iSnipe
Don't worry compadre. We already know.

iSnipe
Boy you are a mouthy little punk aren't you?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.