Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hows the scouting going?

Old 09-16-2009, 07:33 PM
Spike

Default Hows the scouting going?

Just curious to see what everyone else is finding on their scouting excursions. Im seeing a lot of activity at crop sources (corn and apples) in agricultural areas here. Any news from the woods yet about acorn drop, trail cams, etc...
Old 09-16-2009, 11:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here in N. Minnesota the acorns have been dropping late. Bowhunting opener started here on the morning of Saturday, September 12. Usually by opener the White Oak acorns have mostly dropped and taking advantage of the mast is usually not an option because it's too late by then. As of now, the 16th, White Oak acorns have still been dropping. The acorns are a little smaller than normal too. I think it's because lower rain levels. Red Oak are dropping now, but deer around here seem to leave them for later in the winter. I usually see where deer have dug through the snow to get them.

White Oak acorns are a huge attraction for deer 'round these parts.

We've been having warmer weather and deer are not moving around much until later in the evening. I know because I sit and scout from long range trying to spot a big buck for later. LOL! Humidity doesn't help either and lack of good rainfall keeps the water holes a good place to start to look for them. We haven't had much winds too to keep the bugs off and keep the deer cooler either.

iSnipe
Old 09-17-2009, 08:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

going out for the first time this weekend, ahh im late
Old 09-17-2009, 08:45 AM
Fork Horn

I plan on scouting some deer in the vitals with broadheads this weekend.
Old 09-17-2009, 09:06 AM
Spike

I have not seen any scrapes or rubs yet. I may need to look deeper in the woods. I usually cruise on the quad and check edges and such. I have got a few big footed rascals that have popped up. Where there is usually beans, now is tobacco.....(not good)
Old 09-17-2009, 09:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

SE Alabama - Done very little so far. Maybe 15-20 hours in the past 3 weeks. Acorn crop appears weaker that I expected. We had a mild winter in 2009 with no late freeze down our way to burn the acorn flowers/buds. Water oaks look pretty good. White oaks I have looked at ... pitiful mast. Persimmn trees are loaded with much of the fruit already mature and dropped. Browse is super due to the wet and relatively mild July , August and September. Lots of forbs being chomped on. Some scraping going on. Not much though. Hope to get in the woods for 10-15 hours next weekend. SArchery starts here Oct. 15. Need to locate some acorns !!!