Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

8 vs 10 Pointer. Genetics?

Old 09-16-2009, 09:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default 8 vs 10 Pointer. Genetics?

We've been hunting the same property for 25 years now. And while every now and then, someone gets a 10 pointer, it seems like every buck is an 8-pointer. And if you see a really big buck, there's a good chance it's a monster 8 pointer.

Is it possible that our herd genetics tops out at 8 points? You've all seen mature 8-pointers.

Or is it that the mature deer are just very rarely seen and we're mostly seeing deer in the 2.5-3.5 age range?
Old 09-16-2009, 09:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by BarnesX.308

Or is it that the mature deer are just very rarely seen and we're mostly seeing deer in the 2.5-3.5 age range?
Most likely this is a big part of it. You could have genetics that promote an 8 point ceiling but deer past 3.5 years are smart and don't move much during hunting hours.
Old 09-16-2009, 10:37 AM
Typical Buck

i would say theere are alot more bigger deer that you are not seeing... but you could be right about the genetics!! but hey wouldnt bother me if i could be getting monster 8 or 10's
Old 09-16-2009, 01:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you have been hunting the same property for 25 years, have you seen many deer with more than 8 points? Is the property large enough that you and others have not seen the bigger deer that may be there?

Based on personal experience, I would say there are bigger deer in those woods.
Old 09-16-2009, 01:50 PM
Fork Horn

I have a pet hypothesis (pet because I am unaware of any one testing it) that the dominant trait for antlers in deer is an 8-point rack...only with careful management will you see a lot of 10 point bucks (recessive trait), and then only with appropriate age...

I have noticed this hunting big woods whitetails that the majority of bucks killed (even very large bucks) are 8-points. Even most of the non-typicals are based on an 8-point typical frame...

In Texas, where culling 8-points before the rut is common, the only breeding class of deer left will be recessively traited 10 points...which in turn will generally produce deer with 10 points...but you have to hold out for mature deer only...
Old 09-16-2009, 02:02 PM
Spike

Genetics do play a factor but I would take a huge 8pt over a 10pt or 12pt anyday. I have them and my favorite buck is a 150's class 8pt buck with 12" g2s 10" g3's and 6" brows.
Old 09-16-2009, 02:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

we see some 10pt 1.5yr olds....so that makes me think as long as they've had good nutrition they'll show their potential, or genetic frame early on, but who knows later on they may become a main frame 12...

we also see some 9 or 10pt 1.5yo...some 8pt.

If you really wanted to experiment you could pass all 10pointers you see, and only havest the 8points, especially the younger ones, as a study I read suggested overwhelmingly that the younger bucks are doing the majority of the breeding, ie 2.5yo and under...

its hard to say though.
Old 09-17-2009, 03:55 AM
Typical Buck

I hunted on a place like that for 10 years. Very seldom a shooter wasn't an 8 pt.........I can't complain I shot some great deer off that place.
Old 09-17-2009, 04:44 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Teach Deer
I have a pet hypothesis (pet because I am unaware of any one testing it) that the dominant trait for antlers in deer is an 8-point rack...only with careful management will you see a lot of 10 point bucks (recessive trait), and then only with appropriate age...

I have noticed this hunting big woods whitetails that the majority of bucks killed (even very large bucks) are 8-points. Even most of the non-typicals are based on an 8-point typical frame...

In Texas, where culling 8-points before the rut is common, the only breeding class of deer left will be recessively traited 10 points...which in turn will generally produce deer with 10 points...but you have to hold out for mature deer only...
i like this thought. i will try to get some info on this. i have a few friends in south texas working on their masters at A&M Kingsville. the research they do is performed on a ranch i interned at in south texas.

their management plan was shooting most everything 8 and under at 2.5, because at 3.5 it was typically not going to meet the 145" criteria. this did give them an average of over a 160" deer at 7.5 when they would hunt them.

the good thing about this ranch is that it was 97,000 contiguous acres (low fence). not every where is going to react like south texas where there is such an abundant deer herd but i guess with enough land, a good plan, and well educated hunters, you can do what ever you want with a herd.

this ranch had been managed for 8 years prior to my arrival.
Old 09-17-2009, 09:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

have you seen many deer with more than 8 points?
Every few years, someone will shoot a 9 or 10 point. In 2002 a guy shot an 11 point. In 2006, someone shot a 13 point. But, most bucks are 8 pointers. I'll see about 12-15 different bucks in a season. Pretty much all of them will be 8-pointers. Even some yearlings.

Here are 4 bucks shot in the last 8 years that have more than 8 points.
Attached Thumbnails 8 vs 10 Pointer.  Genetics?-ganoga-10-point.jpg   8 vs 10 Pointer.  Genetics?-ganoga-11-point.jpg   8 vs 10 Pointer.  Genetics?-lockhart-buck.jpg   8 vs 10 Pointer.  Genetics?-o-handley-13-point.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.