Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

8 vs 10 Pointer. Genetics?

Old 09-17-2009, 10:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Is the property large enough that you and others have not seen the bigger deer that may be there?
3000 acres. Mostly overgrown clear cut, swamp, blueberry thicket and hemlock stands. Edge of property is on a steep mountain ridge. Borders 54,000 acres of state land (hard to access) and 20,000 acres of state park. There are two other private tracts in the area that are about 3000 acres a piece as well.

So no, we don't see every deer out there. There are a few fields near the road where we see a lot of deer at night. Also, some people have feeders. I've seen five 8-pointers in the backyard at the same time. I've seen 140" 8 pointers in the back yard. But never a 110-125" 10 pointer. I've seen a live 10 pointer with my own eyes once. Last year. In the field at night. In 1984, we saw a 7X7. But every other deer is an 8-pointer.

On the bright side, very few spikes, forks or even small 6-pointers.