Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Strategies

Old 09-15-2009, 09:27 PM
Fork Horn

Default Strategies

Whats everyones strategy when it comes to every deer hunt. What do you make sure of every outting and why. Play the wind?Use scents?Call?etc..
Old 09-16-2009, 07:28 AM
Spike

always spray down before i walk into the woods...thats a must...i guess nothing else is for sure...i dont always call because if you call from your stands everytime you hunt, its like a guy who calls you everyday askin you to come outside and fight...after 2 or 3 times you will start to ignore it...i save rattling till pre rut and doe bleats till rut and post rut...early season, i dont grunt unless i see a buck is not comin my way...snort wheeze is the best call in the woods durin pre rut stage...
Old 09-16-2009, 07:51 AM
Spike

Scent control, never hunt a stand where the wind is not right. Doe Estrous Scent can be effective if not utilized to early. Remember, a doe that is not in heat will move out of an area that has a doe in heat in it, as she doesn't want to have to deal with a horny buck yet. Using this to early is a big mistake in my book.

The only call I've used with consistent results is a fawn bleat. Great during bow season and during the rut, can bring in a curious doe who has a buck trailing her, giving you an opportunity. Be careful how you use it. Some folks make it sound like a distress call and that will send the bucks over to the next township.

Rattling can be effective if you have a high buck to doe ratio where competition is high for the does.

JM
Old 09-16-2009, 08:06 AM
Fork Horn

i have a lot of success with the doe in a can right before the peak of the rut..also have had success with the buck growl..really seems to irritate them..but rattling is my all time favorite