Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How to bring deer in??

Old 09-16-2009, 06:42 AM
Typical Buck

"GOBBLE THE KNOBBLE!"doesnt have a clue. IS BAITING LEGAL WHERE YOU LIVE?
Old 09-16-2009, 07:09 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by boilermaker85
"GOBBLE THE KNOBBLE!"doesnt have a clue. IS BAITING LEGAL WHERE YOU LIVE?
hahaha! i guess dont make fun of it until you tried it...im kinda skeptical myself! but to answer your question...Im almost positive that the deer moving through that hardwood bottom are not the onlly deer around your property...take a day off and walk the border of your property...plant multiple food plots...if you can afford it, i'd plant one on each side of your land (N,S,E,W) after the first few years, you'll figure out which ones arent bein used and you dont have to replant them...i know this cuz i had this same problem on my farm...check woodlines in between 2 fields as deer will use that as a travel corridor...keep us posted
Old 09-16-2009, 07:21 AM
Spike

Well the problem is the hardwoods are the only woods by the property. My neighbors land is like mine also as its just open farming land. And as many times as I've been out I've only seen one deer. And this is a time period over about 5 years.
Old 09-16-2009, 07:30 AM
Spike

so do you have any bedding "type" area around your land...we could do you alot more justice if you could post up a arial photo of your land...www.maps.live.com
Old 09-16-2009, 07:40 AM
Spike

If you don't have any wooded or thick areas that will hold deer, your only option is to locate your plots right across the line from your neighbors who have this type of habitat.

You can plant them in the open and the deer will visit, only it will be at night. Look for good bedding areas across the line and situate your plots next to these on your property.

If your out in the middle of open country with no cover, there isn't much you can do to bring deer in during shooting hours. If you can, let parts of the place grow up in tall grass and leave any deadfall there. Whitetails require cover, if you don't have it you must make some the best way you can.

Hunt the small pockets of cover that you do have.

JM.
Old 09-16-2009, 06:46 PM
Spike

http://www.bing.com/maps/default.asp...cl=1&encType=1

It's right against the tree line. There's a hole freaking forest behind so it's going to be near impossible.
Old 09-16-2009, 08:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Looks like you are up against a nice chunk of hardwoods so you should be able to pull in some deer out of there. First I would put a food plot near those hardwoods, that will for sure pull them out of there. Personally, If it were me and I could do whatever I wanted. I would let about the bordering field start to overgrow (CRP) for the 20 yards next to the field. This would give the deer some cover outside of the forest. Then, Id put a small food plot in somewhere hear the CRP near where you would like to put a stand, preferably near one of the fence rows that bortders where your CRP will be.

With a good food plot, you should be able to pull a lot of deer out of those woods. Remember, during the rut, deer move. You can have a deer in those woods one morning that was 1/2 mile away the night before. Food plots work even better when the crops around you are all out of the field. I have one piece that I hunt that when the corn is up next to the property, I see maybe 25% of the deer I do when the corn is down. The less food still in the fields the more they will come to your food plots. Good luck and keep us updated!
Old 09-26-2009, 12:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

put a feeder feeding heavy in the middle of your property, chances are they will feed there at night but hunt the edges where they are coming from chances are you can catch them there staging up to come to the feeder, plus youve never hunted the feeder so they will not associate it with danger.