Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
need some tips on how to hunt on the ground using a bow without a blind >

need some tips on how to hunt on the ground using a bow without a blind

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

need some tips on how to hunt on the ground using a bow without a blind

Old 09-10-2009, 07:40 AM
Fork Horn

Good tips. Also, if you have the $$$ and want to consider a light, cheap pop-up blind, get an Ameristep Doghouse or one of similar make. I bought one at the farm supply store here for $50 on clearance. These blinds can be a challenge to draw a bow inside but given your set-up, you could leave the back door behind you open slightly offering some more give when drawing. I have taken deer out of a doghouse with a bow. Unfortunately, after four seasons of leaving it out all the time in the woods, it had to be retired this past year.
Old 09-10-2009, 04:57 PM
Fork Horn

thanks guys... the place i'm gonna go hunt at is actually a pretty huge state forest filled with hills/valleys and nice big trees.

About the orange blaze... hmmmm.. i'll just hunt where most people do not hunt.. Small game hunters will be in the woods too. I know a few, "out of no where" spots in the forest, so i'm gonna go there with my bow. Most bow hunters i've seen while small game hunting usually are near trails/corn fields and open grass fields.
Old 09-11-2009, 03:45 AM
Fork Horn

Before hunting out of trees or elevated devices was legal (showing my age) we bowhunted on the ground NO.1 thing was a face mask. no.2 sit don't stand use the cover and be still. Worked great for us.
Redclub
Old 09-11-2009, 05:01 AM
Fork Horn

Make sure your camo is close to your surroundings and pay attention to your wind directions. Hunting from the ground is alot of fun, but you cannot get away with movement. I agree with previous statements that you need to be able to draw and shoot from your position with minimal movement. The only other thing I do is scrape the leaves and grass away from my feet. This way if I shift my weight or move slightly it minimizes any noise. Good Luck.
Old 09-11-2009, 02:47 PM
Fork Horn

i've also had luck sitting by a smaller trees with other trees on both sides of it so that you are tucked back in between some trees.