Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Cull Buck or Give Him Time

Old 09-10-2009, 04:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

This deer lives in the suburbs. Both pictures were taken in my yard. One in the front and one in the back. I'm not too worried about coyotes or lack of food. He should be fine.

Now, if this was up at our cabin, he'd be screwed. Coyotes, bears, bobcats, lots of snow and below zero temps.

If my boy can take him, I'm going to encourage him to do so. If I see him in the late season, I'll take him.

He does look really cool.
Old 09-10-2009, 04:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

i dont believe in cull bucks
Old 09-10-2009, 10:19 AM
Spike

Take him down! Bad genes!!!
Old 09-10-2009, 10:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Take him,I think you would be doing him a favor.
Old 09-11-2009, 04:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Of course he is a wild whitetail deer. Even if I decide to take him, that's easier said than done.
Old 09-11-2009, 09:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Im with a few others here when I don't believe in the tem "Cull Buck". It sounds like your shooting a deer just to get it out of the herd and your getting no enjoyment out of it. I refer to a deer like that as one that has reached his potential, just not a cull buck.

I think this deer will be fine for a few more years. If he has lived this long then his wound has healed. The only predator suburb deer face is ones with V8's! Ive seen a few 3 legged deer in my day and all look they have been doing fine.

Im not sure how hold this guy is. If he's 2 1/2, just take a look at his left side. If it wasnt for his injury then his right side would look the same. Thats not a horrible looking 2 1/2 year old. He'll grow some more, but just will never be a typical deer.

I wouldn't worry about genetics. His injury is one that occured after birth, therefor he doesn't have genetics to pass that gene on. He'll pass on the genetics of what he was bred with and what the left side of his rack looks like.

If that was in front of me for my first deer, I would take him without a doubt. Any first deer is one to be proud of and this one is really unique. Id take him for a first deer just not as a cull buck. If you'd be proud to take him, then take him. Good Luck!
Old 09-11-2009, 10:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

I believe he is 2.5 years old. And I think he's a cool looking buck. My neighbor also thinks he's a cool buck so this guy is not lacking fans.

My question would have been better put like: Is this deer always going to look like this or will he be a symmetrical typical some day.
Old 09-11-2009, 10:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

He would have been culled here, our red deer go through strict programs to ensure there are no bad genes, hence our beautiful deer.

I would say a cull buck.
Old 09-11-2009, 03:28 PM
Fork Horn

Be a nice deer for your kid, but the injury doesn't mean he has bad genetics.
Old 09-11-2009, 03:46 PM
Fork Horn

it is as always up to you its your hunt, may not be a trophy for some but to a kid it would be a memory they never forget, and do the deer a favor, dont let him suffer and give the kid an awesome trophy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.