Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Why are Deer bigger in Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Texas??? >

Why are Deer bigger in Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Texas???

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Why are Deer bigger in Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Texas???

Old 09-09-2009, 08:36 AM
Typical Buck

I know guys I didnt mean for people to get too crazy about this. I just wanted to find out what peoples opinions are. Im glad that people are responding and have a lot of input just dont want people to get mad at each other.
Old 09-09-2009, 08:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Strictly body weight, I don't see how you can compare deer down south, especially Texas with the deer up north. Sure, nutrients plays a big part but IMO, the biggest factor is the weather. Deer up north, like Maine, must be big and strong just to survive the cold, nasty winters. These winters can have temps 20-30 below zero with 3-4 feet of snow for weeks at a time. It is not uncommon for deer up here to dress well above 200 pounds.
Old 09-09-2009, 08:51 AM
Spike

First off I own a deer farm. We dont breed does with bucks that do not have good genetics. Why do you think people look for dogs and horses with good bloodlines? If you take a buck that does not have a good blood line and feed him lots of high protein and nutrient rich food you will have a healthy deer with fat bellys.
Old 09-09-2009, 09:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

I always figured it was

1-good soil. Kansas is the bread basket of America.
2-Age. Midwest has more undeveloped land and less hunters hunting it.
3-Genetics. Difference between a huge 4X4 and a huge 6X6.

What's the soil like in Saskatchewan or Alberta? Do deer grow 200" racks from eating aspen browse?
Old 09-09-2009, 09:30 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by DCFD3512
Texas shouldn't even be included in this thread. Like another guy already said, most of the huge bucks are imported.
I hate to be accused of bickering, but, you've insulted Texas, and I've got to defend it...

You say that most of the huge bucks are imported. That's simply not true. A buddy of mine has a ranch in central Texas that was high fenced, so that he could participate in a management program instituted by Texas Parks and Wildlife in connection with their determination as to whether to implement antler restrictions in his area and what those restrictions should be. Food plots and strict management. All native deer. He's taken 170's off his property... Genetics, age and nutrition. A co-worker of mine guided a friend on a low-fenced spot and stalk hunt in far west Texas last fall. The friend shot his first buck. Scored in the 170's...

The other natural Texas bucks actually aren't as big as they appear. Their body size is so small that an actual 120" buck really looks like a 135-140" buck. Some of the guides on those shows even admit it. They will tell the hunter to not shoot any animal until the guide confirms the actual size because they appear deceiving. Once you get that sucker mounted and hang it next to your true Mid-West giant it will end up being a small rack on an even smaller head.
The guides on those shows may admit that the body size makes the racks seem bigger, but, they're telling the hunter not to shoot because they're managing for age. They want to determine whether the buck meets their management guidelines, which most commonly means whether it's old enough to shoot, and body size is one of a number of factors considered when determining the age of the deer. Body sizes are obviously somewhat smaller in Texas. And, smaller in some regions of Texas than in other regions. So what? You don't typically manage for giant bodies, you manage to grow big racks, and that takes age. If you have the Versus channel, watch "Bucks of Tecomate" and check out the native deer David Morris is harvesting off of his low-fenced ranch. Body sizes up north may be bigger, but, Texas grows plenty of big-racked bucks of their own...
Old 09-09-2009, 09:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

I read/heard deer in IL were big due to it being a slug gun state, in part, as in forever people weren't able to take 100+ yard shots on deer during our gun season, ie letting some of these bucks grow another year or more since guys aren't taking 200-400yd shots on younger deer, or even quality bucks that are outta slug range.

Iowa has quality management from what I know, december gun season, slug, no rifles,

basically what i heard is any whitetail state with gun seasons occuring outside of the rut you have big bucks.

texas just quality management, they invented it pretty much didn't they? even so I'm not sure they have monster bucks, but certainly some quality bucks, but on tv i see their big boys are 5.5-7.5yo? in IL a 2.5 or 3.5yo is as big as many of those older texas bucks, you shoot a whitetail in IL at 3.5yo or older he's gonna be BIG!
Old 09-09-2009, 09:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Low-fence, high-fence...what's with all the fences in Texas?

You guys should build one along the Mexican border. A high fence.

How much does it cost to put a high fence around, say 10,000 acres???
Old 09-09-2009, 09:40 AM
Typical Buck

the northern whitetails are much biger than the southern deer ...the further u go down south the smaller they get ..michigan ,alberta and sask.have monster bucks in racks and body weight.
Old 09-09-2009, 09:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by 1shotkill1993
I too believe that it is the food source. The food they love and also need to grow big, is abundant there.
The food sources in the mid west are no better than the food sources here in my area of PA. other than the fact that the soil in my area does not have the minerals present to pass onto the deer in every bite of food they eat and every sip of water they drink like the mineral rich soil of the mid west does. Pike

Last edited by J Pike; 09-09-2009 at 09:56 AM.
Old 09-09-2009, 09:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by HuntingKS
It's both genetics and nutrition, and it's too complex to simply break it down into something as simple as minerals or ag crops or browse.

You bet big bucks where you CONSISTENTLY have good nutrition and good genetics are present. Nutrition has dozens of variables as there are many different food sources for deer in different areas of the country. Now, good genetics are present in every population, however, they will be more greatly expressed when there is consistently good nutrition. Poor nutrition often results in does producing fawns with lesser genetic potential. If this happens in a recurring manner, then the over genetics of the area will decline.

I've kind of summarized some reading I did at this site. I'd check it out if you're interested in more info.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild..._wma/research/
It is true that good nutrition can help deer reach their genetic potential but it is not possible for poor nutrition to cause doe's to produce fawns with less genetic potential. Genetics can not be altered by anything. Pike

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.