Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Why are Deer bigger in Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Texas??? >

Why are Deer bigger in Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Texas???

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Why are Deer bigger in Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Texas???

Old 09-08-2009, 07:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bowhunter Poor nutrition is a big factor in alot of area's of PA. but not in my area of PA. which is York Co. we have great habitat mild winters and AG. crops all over the place, infact the first deer I ever harvested that didnt have corn or beans in its stomach was the first deer I shot in my area of OH. But my area of OH. has twice as many deer per square mile than York Co. PA. and is void of AG crops.
The huge size difference blew my mind and I studied this very same topic and considered every possible factor that could enter into the equation but the only positve difference I found between the 2 area's is the mineral content in the soil. When I saw my first OH. deer up close I would have bet the farm that they were a different sub species than our deer in PA. but I was floored when I researched it and learned that they were the exact same sub species.

To see what I am talking about all you have to do is loo close to home and compare the Eastern Shore of MD. to the Western Shore of MD., The difference in the size of the deer is due to the superior mineral rich soil of the Eastern Shore. Pike

Last edited by J Pike; 09-08-2009 at 07:56 PM.
Old 09-08-2009, 08:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

For the guys that think age has anything to do with it, it doesnt because not only are the mature bucks & doe's larger in the mid west than other area's but every but every age class of deer is larger, including their fawns. Pike

Old 09-08-2009, 08:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Food sources and richness of the soil can factor, but you're all missing the main reason deer are larger in one area than another. There are several sub-species of deer and they tend to be larger as you move from the southern to the northern latitudes. A large buck in Texas might weigh 175 and a buck in Canada could weigh as much as 400 lbs.
Old 09-08-2009, 08:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

isatarek, You are a 100 % correct!! But the reason I didnt mention "" Bergmans Rule"" or Different sub species is because you could draw a straight line due west on a map from my area of PA. to my area of OH. and also we were only discussing the difference between the deer from the mid west compared to other area's (not Alberta or Saskachawan etc.) so Bergmans Rule isnt a factor and both PA. and OH. have the Northern Woodlands Whitetail sub species which is by the way the largest of all the subspecies so that couldnt be a factor either. Pike

Last edited by J Pike; 09-08-2009 at 08:35 PM.
Old 09-09-2009, 03:46 AM
Spike

Texas shouldn't even be included in this thread. Like another guy already said, most of the huge bucks are imported. The other natural Texas bucks actually aren't as big as they appear. Their body size is so small that an actual 120" buck really looks like a 135-140" buck. Some of the guides on those shows even admit it. They will tell the hunter to not shoot any animal until the guide confirms the actual size because they appear deceiving. Once you get that sucker mounted and hang it next to your true Mid-West giant it will end up being a small rack on an even smaller head.
Old 09-09-2009, 04:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Order of importance:
1. Hunting pressure - low equals more calmer older deer
2. Nutrition
3. Genetics - a distant 3rd. And a great buck can come from a 120 class 6 yo and a doe with good genetics - doe's contribution is equally important.
Old 09-09-2009, 04:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

I too believe that it is the food source. The food they love and also need to grow big, is abundant there.
Old 09-09-2009, 07:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Texas deer arent bigger. The bodies of Texas deer are actually smaller which makes their racks look bigger. Some 3-4 year old bucks in texas look like northern yearlings as far as bodies go, which makes the nice racks look exceptional.
Old 09-09-2009, 08:16 AM
Spike

It's both genetics and nutrition, and it's too complex to simply break it down into something as simple as minerals or ag crops or browse.

You bet big bucks where you CONSISTENTLY have good nutrition and good genetics are present. Nutrition has dozens of variables as there are many different food sources for deer in different areas of the country. Now, good genetics are present in every population, however, they will be more greatly expressed when there is consistently good nutrition. Poor nutrition often results in does producing fawns with lesser genetic potential. If this happens in a recurring manner, then the over genetics of the area will decline.

I've kind of summarized some reading I did at this site. I'd check it out if you're interested in more info.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild..._wma/research/
Old 09-09-2009, 08:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

Can't believe the bickering about this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.