HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Why are Deer bigger in Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Texas??? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/303014-why-deer-bigger-illinois-iowa-kansas-texas.html)

TheMiz54 09-08-2009 06:20 PM

Why are Deer bigger in Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Texas???

Just wanted to get your thought on this. Is it the amount of food available for the deer. Is it the people that live in these states that practice quality deer management better then up in the northeast like NY? Or is it something else that I dont even know?? Thanks

Mirza

J Pike 09-08-2009 06:28 PM

The reason deer are bigger in the mid west isnt because the mid west has superior food to other area's its because it is blessed with superior soil.
During the last ice age the Wisconsin Glacier deposited alot of minerals into the soil from the extreme western part of PA. thru out the entire mid west region. Pike

nick_bleuer76 09-08-2009 06:28 PM

I would say a larger food source would attribute to the large herd numbers, large body size, and large antlers. And Texas also allows using feeders, so they get extra nutrients.

J Pike 09-08-2009 06:31 PM

nick please explain what is the larger food sources? Thanks, Pike

FlDeerman 09-08-2009 06:38 PM

I've heard it's the minerals in the plants.

drvsarchry123 09-08-2009 06:42 PM

I really agree for the answers that was been said, for my thoughts about it, it was really the food source that have in the places that you have asked. There would be a great difference for the nutrients that deers get from the foods they intake on this places. There were larger amount of good foods which contributed for deers to have larger bodies and greater weights.

TheMiz54 09-08-2009 06:53 PM

The glacier seems like a good thought. I cant believe I overlooked that aspect. Thanks Pike

superstrutter 09-08-2009 06:55 PM

Texas? Do you know how big a true Texas deer is? Not very big. These giant south Texas bucks you see killed on tv and videos are imported, at least their ancestors were. They are not true Texas bucks. A true Texas giant may weigh 175 pounds. South Texas is not blessed with fertile soil. Fertile soil is what grows huge wild whitetails. There are giants even in Louisiana along the delta region because of the soil. The midwest has fertile soil. The whitetails have a buffet of crops to dine on, so of course they are going to be better in size than most areas.

rh160kid 09-08-2009 06:57 PM

yes deer are bigger there cuz of better soil and quality food in the midwest. The real reason they are bigger is because they are allowed to grow up. Short gun seasons and gun seasons not directly in the peak of the rut allow bucks to grow up and reach maturity. If they are not allowed to grow up they cant get big!!! no matter how much food there is and how good the soil is. This ones common sense boys!!

kole22 09-08-2009 07:01 PM

I have hunted in all of those states except texas. I am from alabama. I would say it is a number of things. Food, But my opinion , most Important is age. Poeple in those states take better care for their deer herds. The largest deer I have ever seen hunting was in kansas(monster) definate booner, the 2nd largest was here at home in Alabama 171"gross 250+ lbs Both were 5 or 6 years old. He is on the wall now....