Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Treestand Angle

Old 08-21-2009, 04:28 PM
Spike

Default Treestand Angle

I have a climbing treestand. What angle should I install it on the tree at? I don't want to get up 15-20 feet into a tree and it be leaning to far forward or backward. Thanks!
Old 08-21-2009, 04:35 PM
Fork Horn

when i use my climber i start out with the front of it at an agle with the front being up im sure its not a 45 degree angle but it seems quite steep as i go up the stand will level.
Old 08-21-2009, 07:08 PM
Spike

1 degree for every feet your going to climb, was a rule of thumb unless you have butt swell on the tree
Old 08-21-2009, 07:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

nobody on earth can answer this but you. Depends on what kind of tree and it depends on what specific tree. No two trees are the same. No matter what kind of stupid calculation somebody suggests, you WILL end up 20 feet up a tree with your stand angled too far down and have to come back down to fix it. It takes a lot of hunts and a whole lot of climbs to be able to predict how much of an angle you should set your stand to for any given tree. Bottom line, there is no certain answer to this question, just get out there and climb some trees to get a good idea of the angle you should set your stand to at the base of a tree. I'll tell you, I've been climbing trees with the same stand for over 12 years and I'll mess up a few times this year and have to climb back down to reset my stand. It just happens.
Old 08-21-2009, 08:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

i normally put mine on a 45 degree angle..., depends on the tree size
Old 08-22-2009, 12:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by SouthernStrut56
nobody on earth can answer this but you. Depends on what kind of tree and it depends on what specific tree. No two trees are the same. No matter what kind of stupid calculation somebody suggests, you WILL end up 20 feet up a tree with your stand angled too far down and have to come back down to fix it. It takes a lot of hunts and a whole lot of climbs to be able to predict how much of an angle you should set your stand to for any given tree. Bottom line, there is no certain answer to this question, just get out there and climb some trees to get a good idea of the angle you should set your stand to at the base of a tree. I'll tell you, I've been climbing trees with the same stand for over 12 years and I'll mess up a few times this year and have to climb back down to reset my stand. It just happens.
he is right it depends on the tree . I have some trees i climb every season so i know where to set them before i even get to the tree . usually it is 20 to 25 degrees. 45 is way to steep for a climber the teeth won't bite well at that angle and your ankles will point down to much to climb comfortably
Old 08-22-2009, 05:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

I usually set mine at the base of the tree at about 45deg or so. By the time I reach 15-18 feet im good and level.
Old 08-22-2009, 06:37 AM
Typical Buck

Practice with it, that's the only way you'll get a feel for where to start. Good Luck
Old 08-23-2009, 06:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use hang-on's and like to have the platform as close to level as possible.A little back lean is ok but forward lean gives me the willies.