Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Buckshot.. Is it for people who can't shoot? >

Buckshot.. Is it for people who can't shoot?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Buckshot.. Is it for people who can't shoot?

Old 08-17-2009, 06:46 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by bryant1
For shots less than 40-50yds= a 3" or 3.5" 00B round is hard to beat, most deer don't take another step. It's definitely a doghunting load IMO
Agreed. But It's just knowing what your gun can do. Ive had hunters on stands next to me drop deer in their tracks much farther than 50 yds with buckshot. Idk if the topic name was meant as sacastic or not but it came off a little ignorant
Old 08-17-2009, 07:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by DeerSlayer93
Agreed. But It's just knowing what your gun can do. Ive had hunters on stands next to me drop deer in their tracks much farther than 50 yds with buckshot. Idk if the topic name was meant as sacastic or not but it came off a little ignorant
You're right, the shotgun and load(s) you will be using need to be patterned. An aftermarket turkey choke will usually help with tighter buckshot patterns too, but now I'm just giving away my secrets
Old 08-17-2009, 07:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by hossdaniels
A buckshot pellet is roughly the same as a 22lr(except the 22 has a better bc). Dont be expecting any easy tracking jobs. Its can be deadly if you are under 20 or 25 yards and can be sure to get ALL the pellets in the kill zone. Its what I have in my HD shotty. I figure its good to atleast 7 yards on two legged critters, but I aint planning on tracking them.

This depends on the type of buckshot you're talking about. The OP didn't mention what size buckshot. Most people think of 00 buck, which is .330. A little bigger than a .30 cal pellet. And there's 8 of 'em.

There's a lot more to this discussion than anyone has mentioned. The history behind the shotgun and it's hunting application for example would reveal how useful and versitile the weapon is. While there are several safety factor that go into choosing a shotgun for specific hunting applications, these are only recent thoughts in the history of regulated hunting. Prior to regulations, people used shotguns for their effectiveness and versitility. Not because they couldn't shoot.

Here's a chart if you're interested or don't know.

Size
Nominal diameter
Pellets/oz

TriBall (12 Ga.) <5>
.60" (15.24 mm )
3/4 ounce per pellet

0000 ("quadruple-ought")
.38" (9.7 mm)

000 ("triple-ought")
.36" (9.1 mm)

00 ("double-ought")
.33" (8.4 mm)

0 ("ought")
.32" (8.1 mm)

.30" (7.6 mm)

.27" (6.9 mm)

.25" (6.4 mm)

.24" (6 mm)

Aside from those who would say that they would "only use a centerfire, or slug, to ensure a well placed shot," I would venture a guess that throughout the history of hunting (world wide) that shotguns have taken more deer than any other type of firearm.

And I use a rifle by the way.

Last edited by elgallo114; 08-17-2009 at 07:21 AM.
Old 08-17-2009, 07:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry, my chart got all skewed. You should have seen it before I "fixed" it. But I think you get the picture.
Old 08-17-2009, 01:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by elgallo114
This depends on the type of buckshot you're talking about. The OP didn't mention what size buckshot. Most people think of 00 buck, which is .330. A little bigger than a .30 cal pellet. And there's 8 of 'em.
I believe what elgallo was refering to is how many foot pounds of energy a buckshot pellet delivers. Granted 00 buck is larger than a .22lr, but at 40 yards a single 00 buck pellet has the same amount of energy that a .22lr has at the muzzle. There's no doubt that buckshot works great at killing deer, but I find it amazing how many people don't actually pattern their guns and learn its true limitations.
Old 08-17-2009, 04:51 PM
Fork Horn

Hell no, I've missed a ton more deer with buckshot than with a rifle. On the fly unless you're like 5 feet from them it's hard to judge distance. The difference between 30 and 45 yards with my shotgun is like a mile when shooting buckshot. I've never had it pattern well for me and when deer hunting I'll probably never use buckshot again. I'll shoot a slug all day long before 00 buck.
Old 08-18-2009, 06:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by rustynobles
Hell no, I've missed a ton more deer with buckshot than with a rifle. On the fly unless you're like 5 feet from them it's hard to judge distance. The difference between 30 and 45 yards with my shotgun is like a mile when shooting buckshot. I've never had it pattern well for me and when deer hunting I'll probably never use buckshot again. I'll shoot a slug all day long before 00 buck.
I understand this. But the OP was not asking to compare buckshot to slugs or centerfire rifles. His question was if buckshot was for people who cannot shoot.

I think the answers here clearly demonstrate just the opposite to be true. To be efficient with the shotgun loaded with buckshot, one would need to first be profficient at hunting at closer ranges. Then he/she would need to really know the weapon, the loads being used, and the patterns they produce.

Not saying that this is not a good idea with any type of hunting weapon, just saying that it's probably harder with buckshot. That might be why so many miss or only slightly wound with buckshot.
Old 08-18-2009, 06:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

I do apologize for the thread title and really believe the guys posting here know how their shotgun functions and what buckshots limitations are but there are also a lot of guys out there who grab the closest birdgun and off they go. Lets at least be honest is saying that most rifle hunters "maybe" fire a few rounds prior to the opener at the range but plenty don't pull the trigger once.
Buckshot is MORE demanding than a slug not less and I see very few guys at the range doing the work. Sure there are the guys with wadmaster or patternmaster chokes who can put a full load in a 12 inch circle at 40 yards but they are the exception.
Old 08-18-2009, 08:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

So if the intention of the thread was to call attention to the lack of patterning and practice on the part of some shotgunners, then I agree.

Any weapon needs to be second nature to the shooter. I personally shoot for a couple hours every other week. Not cuz I'm trying to be the "sniper in the woods." But because it's my escape. Every payday, I buy a couple boxes, plug in Enya into my earbuds, and shoot 40 rounds over a two hour period. Keeps me sane and helps me hone a skill I love. Then I plug in Hed (pe) or Dropkick Murphy's and drive back to the grind.

Weird I know. But it keeps me out of the towers.
Old 08-18-2009, 09:34 AM
Typical Buck

I always used slugs when hunting deer with a shotgun.

I have an uncle who has a 12 gauge semi-auto that handles 3'' shells with a very tight choke. He claims to be able to hit a deer running with open sights at 75 yards, but he has been less than truthful with his boasting in the past.